BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AutoText Level Dim "gravity" to display level to underside

fuzzytnth3
Booster
I'm doing a ceiling layout and this has bugged me for years!

While you can display the level to the top of a slab using the "Gravity" feature. You can't get it to display the level to the underside of a slab which is where you would measure a ceiling to. I was hopeful with the introduction of Autotext and or "1st and Second References I would be able to do this but I just can't seem to find away to make it work the way I want. I even resorted to reading the manual

Anyone out there found a solution?

tia

AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
A solution is to create a custom GDL object displaying its own level and put it over slabs using Gravity options, you can add a parameter to substract/add a custom offset the slab thickness…
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Fair enough answer

But I'm 15 hours into trying to complete Partition setting out plans, Ceiling Setting Out plans plus joinery details and finally a Door Schedule all for a 9:00am deadline tomorrow morning.

So I'm thinking cobbling together a library object in the middle of all this will break the proverbial camels back ie mine

Does seem amazing that Graphisoft haven't come up with an option to do this and or have the facitility via Autotext

Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
owen
Newcomer
Have a look in the Object Repository .. i can remember the object described above was posted in there and it does what you need. Can't remember who it was by though sorry
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Thanks found a link in the Depository across to James Murray's excellent website,

James Murray Slab label object

(edit)
Wow it's brilliant does everything I need thanks guys but in particular James for making the object in the first place

Cheers
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Anonymous
Not applicable
there is a tricky solution I used since version 4 or Five :

On a layer that you will hide afterwards, put a slab whith the top sharing the height of the bottom of your ceiling slab. While the layer is still visible use Gravity to get its level with the level dimension tool, then hide the tricky layer. You can then even multiply the dimension, any copy will stay linked to the original slab. It is an easy way to manage with a few slab many dimensions levels… whenever you move the original all the dimensions linked are updated.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Til wrote:
there is a tricky solution I used since version 4 or Five :

On a layer that you will hide afterwards, put a slab whith the top sharing the height of the bottom of your ceiling slab. While the layer is still visible use Gravity to get its level with the level dimension tool, then hide the tricky layer. You can then even multiply the dimension, any copy will stay linked to the original slab. It is an easy way to manage with a few slab many dimensions levels… whenever you move the original all the dimensions linked are updated.
Just use James' Label.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Learn and get certified!