Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Mac version needs a modern interface

Erich
Contributor
While an updated interface would be very nice to have, particularly the ability to stop mac windows from disappearing beneath tool pallets, there are many other issues I would like to see addressed first. As with many things, there is a limited amount of resources to pass around.

Just my two cents....
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
25 REPLIES 25
Thomas Holm
Booster
kasprol wrote:
Carbon , an "old" framework on a Mac (one windowed mode - like on Windows).
This is simply wrong. You can use any windowing mode you like, in Carbon or in Cocoa. The API (application programmer interface) has nothing to do with it. If you've been using Archicad on the Mac for so long, you should know that all modes have been possible for a long time, that Archicad has been (is?) using Carbon, and despite that has been multi-windowed from the beginning, like most Mac applications, wether made in Classic, Carbon or Cocoa.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
AC is Carbon. Hopefully we will see AC as a full Cocoa64 application one day...

and I agree with Thomas - either Carbon or Cocoa do not determine the user interface.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry , I found another topics for this. I was wrong about Cocoa but floating palettes don't drive me crazy. It's the overall aesthetics of the ui (lack of hierarchy and bad graphics,simply).
Christiaan
Participant
Rob wrote:
either Carbon or Cocoa do not determine the user interface.
It is true to say it does not determine the user interface, but that's not to say it doesn't influence it. The Cocoa frameworks make it easier to integrate with the OS and produce a more mac-like interface.

As Microsoft's Mac Business Unit general manager Eric Wilfrid described the upcoming version of Outlook for Mac:
"We’re building on the most modern OS X frameworks to make Outlook beautiful, to make it high performance, and to make it well integrated with the OS."

I just hope Graphisoft come to their senses when they transition ArchiCAD to Cocoa 64-bit and get rid of the Windows silliness that permeates the Mac version. We don't use the Mac platform so we can use Windows interfaces. We use the Mac platform because we prefer Mac interfaces.

A more Mac friendly interface would make it a hell of a lot easier to sell ArchiCAD to my Director, that's for sure.
Karl Barker
Participant
It would be kind of nice if GS took a leaf out of Adobe's book with the ability for pallets to be both docked, minimized to a single icon on the side or floating.
I find the pallets in Photoshop and indesign quite useful.

Also, just a small additional request. does AC 13 have a new icon?
I find each release that I have to build a new application icon for each new version so I can differentiate each version of AC that is in my doc.
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)
Karl Ottenstein
Karl wrote:
Also, just a small additional request. does AC 13 have a new icon?
I find each release that I have to build a new application icon for each new version so I can differentiate each version of AC that is in my doc.
Only GS can say about the new icon, as the testers do not have the final release to know what will be delivered.

I, too, find the identical icons extremely irritating and replace them with each release. I've been using the nice ones designed by Ivor Venkov (attached).

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB