BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Interface becomes old

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm an archicad user since a couple of version. At each update, I'm surprised to find again all the same old interface screens exactly unchanged. It seems that the updates only add new functions (and eventually moves all the old functions into other menus) without rethinking the interface.

I would love to see a major interface update, with the whole workflow optimized and clarified. There's a serious lack of visual hierarchy in most of the interface screens as well as in the overall layout.

I think a lot of things could be simplified and there would be a considerable gain of productivity for old users and attractiveness for new users. I won't tell (unless you ask !) what points really annoy me and what idea I have, because concepting a coherent and well thought interface takes a lot of work and my ideas would not necesserly fit with the overall concept.

Have a look at Adobe's updates for their Creative Suite, for instance, it looks clear and fresh, like a 21st century software. Their palettes magnetize correctly, they are easy to move around and rearrange. It makes a huge difference in the user experience when using the software. I sometimes think of switching to other CAD software just because of that ! (luckily, other softwares arent always much better on this point).

My message can seem a bit rude, but that's really the point I would love to see getting better in the next versions. I'm happy with all the functions and the possibilities offered by Archicad.

Thanks !
5 REPLIES 5
Thomas Holm
Booster
I ask!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I totally agree… I used to love ArchiCad in the old days... I am thinking about switching too just because of that.
Anonymous
Not applicable
GS should review MODO interface. It's really intuitive.
or C4D interface is fully customizable. Let's catch up guys .

BR

-N-
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree , that's what is making me frantic. An app for architects should be equipped with an excellent nad clean ui , not a thing we see today. Greetings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
the inside word from GS is we don't pay enough for ArchiCAD in order that they afford a couple of graphic design students, to drastically improve the interface. unfortunately, the interface has gotten so old and out of touch with the competition, changing it now would be akin to taking away drafting boards and giving users a mouse and keyboard -- most of the userbase is so old school they wouldn't be able to work it out, not to mention the complaints phoneline to GS would be getting several calls a week!
it's hard now to imagine them pulling their finger out and updating, it might be easier to try a favorite Autodesk trick, ie. supercede it with something written by a smaller competitor.

sarcasm hat off

as suggested, Modo and Adobe CS5 are slicker than slick, easy on the eyes, they have clear, legible, icons and text, with resizeable, flexible toolbars and they function seamlessly and fluidly. none of which currently desribes ArchiCAD. I really hope they can find the time to look properly at the most used aspect of their program.
Learn and get certified!