BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Thinking Revit vs ArchiCAD? Stick this thread!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some of you are aware of the noise coming from the Revit user community regarding the new release and how many users are frustrated that long-standing wishes were not met, and instead we got a half-baked UI that might work out in the end, but was not asked for.

A widely respected Revit user and implementor (see http://architechure.blogspot.com) who worked for Revit pre and post Autodesk buyout has blogged clearly and humourously about the shortcomings of the new release.

And now he's being pushed out by Autodesk -- he's being told that he can't speak at Autodesk University, the annual educational conference held in Las Vegas. His sessions are a gold mine to Revit users, and he's become a mentor to many of us in our quest to master the software.

But he didn't toe the company line, so he's gone.

Do you folks want to use software from a company that behaves more like a cult than a software vendor?

Long live ArchiCAD.
56 REPLIES 56
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Samovar wrote:
If you head to http://www.bimworld.com you will be taken (amusingly) to an Autodesk site. Search for GSM files with the keyword "all" to see -among others- some of Kawneers offering.
Have you checked these out? I only opened one part, but it's a 'slabified' object, created by AC -- in other words, someone modeled the storefront with slabs and saved it as an object -- not parametric, and not very useful.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
I want to be able to go to a manufacturers website and be able to download an accurate model of, say, a specific oven, which looks like it does in real life, and has all the correct data in it ready for me to drop it in plan and be able to schedule the data immediately without having to fiddle around modifying it to work with our schedules. (Or find it's last years model, and not available any more!)
Yes that would be perfect. However have you ever tried talking a company into supplying GDL objects?

Take Velux, they have some great GDL objects which were built years ago. Sadly they are not in english. I talked to the NZ Velux marketing manager & CAD manager about getting them translated (i even have a client who was going to pay me to translate them for him!), even with all of the obvious benefits, they both said "at this stage we are not interested, as no one in NZ needs objects". Yet AC has 60%+ market share. um?

But don't panic, because they are soon to be releasing a Revit family
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
Samovar wrote:
If you head to http://www.bimworld.com you will be taken (amusingly) to an Autodesk site. Search for GSM files with the keyword "all" to see -among others- some of Kawneers offering.
Have you checked these out? I only opened one part, but it's a 'slabified' object, created by AC -- in other words, someone modeled the storefront with slabs and saved it as an object -- not parametric, and not very useful.

Wow yes those gsm objects are quite disappointing. Could it be a clever Autodesk marketing move?
Dwight
Newcomer
SABOTAGE!!!!!!

Tricky!
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Could this be an opportunity for someone with a bit of GDL knowledge to do a small demonstration object of part of the Kawneers range, but this time do it properly, with parametric adjustment, and present it to manufacturer to show them what they are missing! They might even get a commission to do the full range if it's good!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Could this be an opportunity for someone with a bit of GDL knowledge to do a small demonstration object of part of the Kawneers range, but this time do it properly, with parametric adjustment, and present it to manufacturer to show them what they are missing! They might even get a commission to do the full range if it's good!
Good idea. I'll tell you what, i'll rig something up now and i'll let you know how we get on.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know it's a year old now, but this may still be useful viewing for someone. I don't know who published it. And I can't find this link previously posted in the forums, so posted here for reference...

Revit2008-vs-Archicad11-vs-Microstation comparison
Learn and get certified!