BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Sketch style render

Anonymous
Not applicable
Welcome any comments on ways to improve this sketch render.

Some (summarised) info on how this was made.
1. LW render with LW sun and sky objects plus a few general lights in the office.
2. Koh-I-Nor sketch render, no shadows.
3. In Photoshop Elements, insert LW render image, copy LW render image and then apply sketch filter, set at 18%, also overlay Koh-I-Nor sketch render at 13%. Add yellow to blue horizontal brightness fill at 17% brightness/contrast filter layers
4. Last add entourage and logos

SIL-Entry.jpg
34 REPLIES 34
Dwight
Newcomer
It is also really important to NOT USE BLACK LINES in the final work. Easy enough to change the color in photoshop and for added sophistication, reduce overlaid line layer opacity.
Dwight Atkinson
Thomas Holm
Booster
I've got your excellent book Dwight, and I've also bought some of the Photoshop tip sources you've referred to in this forum. Still, I beg to differ: There is certainly a place for black contour lines - if you know what you're after. With antialiasing and jpeg blurring, in addition to the reduced opacity you need when blending the sketch with the color rendering, they will look some kind of gray anyway. Just like the old Xerox copy of my pencil lines did!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Dwight
Newcomer
You just made my point.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good point.
Anonymous
Not applicable
tigr wrote:
Thanks Mats.

Sketch + LW was described in many posts (thanks Tom) and the technique is a bit different every time, but basicly this is what you do:

1. Render a scene with LW (don't put to much work in it, doesn't have to be perfect. Sometimes I even use 3d screen shots instead !! )
2. Save it.
3. Now you can use it as a background for your sketch render or read further.
4. Sketch render settings (not optimal, just mine):
- Koh-I-Noor
- paper roughness 10%
- antialiasing - max
- line thickness - 16%
- no lines overstreching
- shadows, hatch and lines distortion...you need to decide
5. If you want to put some extra touches in the scene you want to compose it in Photoshop or Gimp.
- make the sketch a layer, put on top of LW render
- use "Multiply" or "Overlay" as a layer blending option
- mess with the LW render to get what you need
- flaten and save

Have fun.
I cant get this to work for me.. when I do a light works render save it and then set it as my background image IN the photo render settings box. Set all my sketch settings up then hit render. when the sketch render is done it just shows my background image that I got from LW.. if I remove the image and hit render I get the usual black and white sketch done… how do I get it to use the LW image as the background and put the sketch lines over it??

By saying “use the LW image as a background” did you mean the background image in the photo render settings? Or somewhere else???
Anonymous
Not applicable
are these settings correct to get it to work??
Dennis Lee
Booster
Here is my try, using Open GL and Sketch (Koh-i-Nor) images only. I have 4 layers and their layer "mode" in GIMP, from top to bottom as follows:

1. Sketch w/shadows, Soft Light
2. Sketch w/o shadows, Multiply
3. Open GL w/o shadows, Soft Light
4. Open GL w/ shadows, Normal
CAMERA 8-50.jpg
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
With the white model effect in ArchiCAD 18 cinerender you can get some artsy fartsy results quite fast.

Quick mock up for 5.000 seat icehockey rink (with rediculous glass roof in retrospect).

1. white model effect render
2. sketch render
3. bring to photoshop
4. add some watercolor action found free on web
5. overlay sketch (with white model effect used to soften the line tones

I think it looks fancy
icehockey_web.jpg
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Cosminn
Contributor
Hello Guys,

I've read your topic here, Is there a way any of you can help me with Photoshop for two exterior renderings?

My sister used to help me with photoshop, but she's stock in Liverpool because of an Airplane Issue.

I really need to get this done by tuesday. - 14.06.2016

I've prepared already the sketch and the colored window, all I need is the magic stuff in Photosop.

Your help will be appreciated and will be a financial support as well.

Thank you,

Daniel
Sincerely,
Daniel
Cosminn
Contributor
I reffer on this Step:

"5. If you want to put some extra touches in the scene you want to compose it in Photoshop or Gimp.
- make the sketch a layer, put on top of LW render
- use "Multiply" or "Overlay" as a layer blending option
- mess with the LW render to get what you need
- flaten and save"
Sincerely,
Daniel
Learn and get certified!