Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

About Dwight's book

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm wondering if the book of "Artlantis Attitude" could be send via E-mail or download link after the payment?
I'm asking this to avoyd the sending cost to my country.

Thanks

Wuxus
48 REPLIES 48
Dwight
Newcomer
So why does a fellow change?

1: It was horrifying to receive a basement full of LightWorks books from the printer. The delivery truck blocked traffic unloading for 1/2 hour and it took us two hours for a neighborhood bucket brigade to transfer the cartons to the basement where they filled my painting studio, preventing the execution of commissions for two years. That is a lot of trees. All gone, now.

2: It costs US$25. to mail a book internationally from Canada. It just isn't fair.

3: Piracy happens even with paper. I sold only one copy of LightWorks in Archicad to Russia. Six guys probably got together and invested in photocopying that book. I suspect.

4: The advance orders for the Artlantis Attitude are so numerous that I feel it is okay to take the risk. I paid a special fee to a guy standing in front of our local Buddhist Temple so the project is Karma-protected. Or so he said.

Furthermore, and especially, with no fooling around:

5: New Adobe technology addresses piracy issues invisibly where illicitly-copied PDF's cause a cheating, thieving, rooster-suctioning recipient's hard drive to fail after mere minutes of phantom read/write commands occurring only after a period of keyboard inactivity. And then it catches fire.
Dwight Atkinson
David Collins
Advocate
There is a positive side here: the resolution of the book is high enough to allow you to zoom in on the renderings, up to 400% before things begin to pixelate. It's a coffee table book. Shoot, it's practically a coffee table. Anyone remember those teeny tiny postage stamp illustrations in Dwight's first book?
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Dwight
Newcomer
And I apologize on behalf of Graphisoft for that.
Their team did the layout. I did send enough pixels.... but NO!!!
They never said "No more than 128 pages, or else!"

That first book was also laid out in the powerful pre-press application Microsoft Word. With a little layout jiggery-pokery the images could have been larger.

What irks me about that first book was that ovaloid abomination on the cover. [ World Trade Function??]
On a happier note:

Have a positive response today from a real publisher for my next book "Getting Chicks With Food: Being a Man In the Kitchen"
Dwight Atkinson
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Dwight wrote:
/.......for my next book "Getting Chicks With Food: Being a Man In the Kitchen"
Golly does this mean, no more AC
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Karl Ottenstein
I just posted a review of Dwight's book as a reply to his ad ... and realized that ad threads are deleted after 30 days, so am copying the review here, too:

All I can say is "WOW".

Dwight had sent me bits and pieces of the book as it got finalized, but now I've had time to skim through the entire thing and read large chunks of the finished product.

The Artlantis Attitude e-book is not only gorgeous, with inspiring and/or informative color images on every page, it is incredibly information-rich. The writing is light and humorous, making it hard to stop reading.

The book contains the hoped-for step-by-step kinds of instructions for achieving the best that Artlantis has to offer. And, it also contains lots of 'attitude' and distilled, acquired knowledge related to proper art direction for a rendering or animation, and knowing what goals to set and when to quit.

As an e-book ('screen companion'), meant to be displayed alongside Artlantis while experimenting and working, it functions well on larger monitors (19" square and above IMHO). On smaller monitors, such as laptops, the tall pages result in very small type if you want to see the entire page at once. You can of course zoom, but will then be scrolling the page up and down. Note: Adobe Reader (and of course Pro) has a 'Loupe' tool, which lets you drag around the page and see a magnified image. On any screen, this is very helpful for viewing dialog details without having to zoom the entire page. Also, you cannot print any of the pages - except by performing a screenshot and printing that. These things are the only criticisms I have of this project and the only reason I don't give it a perfect 5 out of 5 stars (amazon-style).

I give the e-book 4 3/4 stars out of 5 and highly recommend it to all Artlantis users as the most essential thing to purchase to achieve good results in Artlantis. Yes, you will likely want to purchase some professional shaders - but spend the money on this book first so that you will really know what you are doing and what you need/want to move forward with your work.

Buy it.

Cheers,
Karl

PS Attached is a screenshot showing how to add the Loupe tool to your Adobe Reader interface. It is a little confusing ... the thin arrows are mine vs the fat arrows that are part of the book. Note that the Loupe Tool palette can be floated off the page and that there is a slider to determine the zoom factor.
loupe.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
stefan
Expert
I ordered one. I assume it'll help teaching Artlantis to our students 😉
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
the order process ask for my artlantis license number.
why he ask for this number?
it's really necesary?
thanks in advance
Dwight
Newcomer
Who is the vendor?

If you order direct from me, this is not necessary.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
You shouldn't give your license number to anyone, other than to confirm it with Abvent themselves - anybody could activate Artlantis with your number and in the process lock you out of using it.

Order directly from Dwight - it is an electronic book, so it will arrive as quickly as from any other vendor. Perhaps faster.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
stefan
Expert
Maybe they meant the action of some vendors that you can download the book for free, if you recently bought Artlantis. Since you need to fill in your serial to see if you qualify.

http://www.artlantis.com/index.php?page=artlantis_attitude/serial_attitude

(As EDU user, the serials of our students don't qualify)
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book