Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

WALL / SLAB INTERSECTION LINES

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello!

I'm using Archicad 12 and I have a question:

I'm working on a project on several floors and the construction method I choose regarding wall and slab intersection was to take the slab limits to the outer limits of the walls.

Also the walls start at the top level of each slab and rise up to the bottom level of the slab of the floor above.

However when I have a section trough the building that show some of these wall/slab juctions in elevation the slab contours show i.e. there is a line where wall and slab meet.

But this only happens in certain cases and not in others.

Can someone tell me how to not have that line showing?

Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
MERCY:

The material assignment of the slab edge and the exterior faces of the walls must be the same material to eliminate the lines between walls and slab.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David!

Thank you for your quick reply!...

The strange is that although slab "edge" and outer face of the wall have the same material some still show that line...can you tell me why this could be happening?

I have also checked if the slab limit was accurate/aligned with the wall outer face in case it wasn't and hence a line would appear.

Thank you.

p.s.: I will also create a profile as you suggested.
Anonymous
Not applicable
MERCY wrote:
The strange is that although slab "edge" and outer face of the wall have the same material some still show that line...can you tell me why this could be happening?
To get a seamless joint in section, the cut fills need to be the same in both the slab and the wall.

To get a seamless joint in elevation, the materials applied to the surfaces need to be the same.
Eduardo Rolon
… and for the materials and fills to be the same they need to have same ID since you can have materials with the same name and different ID.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
MERCY wrote:
I have also checked if the slab limit was accurate/aligned with the wall outer face in case it wasn't and hence a line would appear.
If this is a "looking at" rather than "cut through" part of the model, and the materials are identical, then I would suspect a geometry issue. Show hairlines (turn off true line weight), and change your working preferences to a very high tolerance, some very small inaccuracies (an edge at 90.01˚ rather than 90.00˚) could be the problem. If all else fails, you could try creating a module from the problematic parts, zip it, and post it here, someone may then discover the problem.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David.

Sorry for this late reply as I have been without access to my email.

The possibility you point out actually may solve another issue I have with this particular file as for some reason slabs, walls and other elements don´t seem to line up properly (small inaccuracies that makes them for instance not be orthogonal) and that may also be the case in terms of the lines between walls and slabs in elevation.

I will try to check this and if still the problem remains I will follow your suggestion and send an example.

Thanks so much.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you also to Peter and ejrolon for your tips!

I will try your suggestions out and will let you know.

Thanks again!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:

To get a seamless joint in section, the cut fills need to be the same in both the slab and the wall.

To get a seamless joint in elevation, the materials applied to the surfaces need to be the same.
Does this only apply to slabs and walls?

For instance, in the attached picture, the cut fills for the member with the x in it is different than the rafter to which it's attached yet there's no line showing separation between the two.
Picture 1.png