Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Changing the Partial Structure Display Setting of Dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I have about 500 dimensions that have been applied to a hotlinked model, I need to cut and paste them from here to the original Teamwork project (The Hotlink source). The problem is the dimensions have been placed with the Partial Structure Display set to 'Core Only'. I need them to show with the 'Entire Structure' setting. Is there a way to change the dimensions to a different Partial Structure Display setting? I need them to still refer to the wall composite cores, as I would expect them to.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
If it can't be done please tell me and I will start redrawing them.

I think if it's not possible, that it is an oversight on GS's part. There is no reason why the dimensions should be fixed in this way, the skins of the composite walls are all still there in the Entire Structure display so the live dimensions should still point to them. I can understand it if there are dimensions placed to finishes that cannot be placed on a Core Only Setting, but you should be able to change the settings of the dimensions after they are placed.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Steve wrote:

I think if it's not possible, that it is an oversight on GS's part. There is no reason why the dimensions should be fixed in this way, the skins of the composite walls are all still there in the Entire Structure display so the live dimensions should still point to them. I can understand it if there are dimensions placed to finishes that cannot be placed on a Core Only Setting, but you should be able to change the settings of the dimensions after they are placed.
I think it can't be done.
If there is a Partial Structure Display setting and you create Dimension there, they will all disappear when you change to a different Partial Structure Display setting.
I don't know the exact reasoning behind this but that is the way it seems to work.
Actually, it is quite fine for our workflow in our office because we use the Core Only option when sending data to the Structural Engineer, and that we dimension differently and separately.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply, I am trying to find a workaround, short of marching into work tomorrow with a 12 gauge and shooting everyone dead, I was thinking about saving the file out as an ArchiCAD 11, it would then lose the Partial Structure Display settings and then opening in 12. I don't know really, just going to have to redraw it all and try and educate some of the chimps we employ here to use ArchiCAD properly.

laszlonagy wrote:
Steve wrote:

In there is a Partial Structure Display setting and you create Dimension there, they will all disappear when you change to a different Partial Structure Display setting.
I don't know the exact reasoning behind this but that is the way it seems to work.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Steve wrote:
Thanks for your reply, I am trying to find a workaround, short of marching into work tomorrow with a 12 gauge and shooting everyone dead, I was thinking about saving the file out as an ArchiCAD 11, it would then lose the Partial Structure Display settings and then opening in 12. I don't know really, just going to have to redraw it all and try and educate some of the chimps we employ here to use ArchiCAD properly.

laszlonagy wrote:
Steve wrote:

In there is a Partial Structure Display setting and you create Dimension there, they will all disappear when you change to a different Partial Structure Display setting.
That solution might work as you will probably be able to save the dimensions back to AC11 and then copy-paste from there.
However, if you just copy-paste the dimension themselves, they will lose their associativity.
On the other hand, if you copy-paste dimension and all elements that they dimension, then they will be able to retain their associativity since the elements they dimension will also be in the pasted data.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27