Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Can I use "request" to obtain a composite information?...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Folks,

Can I use "request" to obtain a list of wall, slab or roof composites names and respective core thicknesses?...

If so... Could you please tell me which is the exact request statement?...
16 REPLIES 16
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry, I am not familiar with that REQUEST function either.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
Braza wrote:
If I got it right... We can use an extension name as a request and extract information stored inside it...
That REQUEST is for GDL add-ons, not API add-ons, and so cannot interact with things such as Attribute Manager. It simply gives you an alternate syntax for calling GDL add-ons, such as the Text I/O add-on. Unless GS has changed something in recent years.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Since you are on Windows, you can download the ODBC driver from the GS web site which lets you execute SQL queries from a database such as Microsoft Access. This can provide dynamic access to the project data including composite skin info, and if you know any Visual Basic, you can automate the production of a PDF report for placement on layouts - or of a text or xml file for your object to read.

Just another option depending on how essential this is for your workflow...

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Karl,
Karl wrote:
That REQUEST is for GDL add-ons, not API add-ons
And how can I distinguish a GDL add-on from an API one?
Karl wrote:
It simply gives you an alternate syntax for calling GDL add-ons, such as the Text I/O add-on.
So... its like a "remote control" for add-ons inside GDL script?...

About ODBC... as SQL... it doesn't give a dynamic link with AC composites... and in my project this is essential.

Can you tell me whats the level of difficulty of scripting a GDL add-on which can provide this attribute information from a GDL object using this special REQUEST form?

Thanks for your thoughts Karl.
Karl Ottenstein
Braza wrote:
And how can I distinguish a GDL add-on from an API one?
See attached screenshot that lists the ones delivered with ArchiCAD 12.
About ODBC... as SQL... it doesn't give a dynamic link with AC composites... and in my project this is essential.
Well, yes and no on being dynamic. The link to the project file is 'live'. But, the query has to be refreshed in Access to see any changes.
Can you tell me whats the level of difficulty of scripting a GDL add-on which can provide this attribute information from a GDL object using this special REQUEST form?
You need to be a reasonably advanced C/C++ programmer. I have not looked at the GDL developer kit in a few years, so don't know for sure if the composite information is even available to a GDL add-on. My memory is that it probably is not, as I seem to recall that GDL add-ons have access only to the GDL environment, not the project environment. So, you might have to write an API add-on that creates the desired GDL object (or populates its data) dynamically.

Personally, I would look for simple ways to get the information you need. You haven't really said why you want a GDL object to list the entire list of composite attributes ... if you told us that, perhaps someone could give you a simple solution to achieve your goals.

Cheers,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
You haven't really said why you want a GDL object to list the entire list of composite attributes ...
You are right...

The thing is... I've built an object that can apply up to 8 skins to a mesh surface... Similar to composites...
and instead of manually input all the skins thickness and fill definitions, I'd prefer to have a dropdown field with a list of all AC available composites...
It would always keep all the objects updated if I'd change a composite structure.
Karl Ottenstein
Ah. The only way I know how to do that is with an API add-on. Might be some other way that someone else can think of...

Cheers,
Karl