BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

I wish Graphisoft didn't surcharge resale buyers over $2000.

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
So I have two keys and as it turns out, the economy stinks and I need to sell one of my "assets" to make ends meet. I figure that with the investment made in ArchiCAD over the past 10+ years (and 10 before that with other companies money) that there would be some equity in it.

So following proper procedure, I contact my reseller to find out how to go about selling (I've done it before, so I knew there were some hoops to jump thru). It is here I find out that after I sell my ArchiCAD Key to a 3rd party, THEY will HAVE TO PAY over $2000.00 to register the key in their name!

Ok... so I flipped my lid... and shot back an angry email... but the only response I got... "Well, try reselling AutoCAD" ...

Yes, I am still miffed. I just wonder how many people out there actually know about this policy. The policy has changed over the past 20 years. I am curious about when and how I actually AGREED to this policy. But, like everyone else here, I gloss of the EULA's. Apparently this policy changed around April this year. I am not clear how a company can sell me a product (asset) and then continue, after the fact, to create policy that removes all equity from it.

And the real questions is WHY? "How could it possibly cost $2000.00 to change a name and address in a database? To be fair (someone has to) $600 of it is a FORCED enrollment in the ArchiPLUS program. So at least the buyer will get the next upgrade (if it happens within a year).

Sorry for venting. I love ArchiCAD. I like the people that work there. I like my reseller. I just think this policy is WRONG. So on my tombstone will hang 2 ArchiCAD 12 keys (can't afford to upgrade any longer with this policy in place).
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
100 REPLIES 100
Dwight
Newcomer
That is rough.

Sorry to hear about your slowdown.

We all think that we are buying a product when we are merely licensing a right to use it.

It got ambiguous with Graphisoft because, by not putting a time limit on the license, the licensee develops a myth of ownership.

At its most basic, there's NO residual value to a license.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
Wow. I cannot believe that something such as the license transfer fee could be changed without any kind of announcement which would have given people like you time to sell your extra license before the new policy took effect, Duane. Sounds like fertile grounds for a law suit IMHO ... I would just file a small claims - which is basically free, and what is the chance that a GS US representative will show up in court to defend GS?

As far as I and anyone on these forums knew, the license transfer fee was $475. The only purpose of the fee was to change the ownership on Graphisoft US's records so that the buyer could purchase upgrades or subscriptions. If the buyer did not care about upgrading - well, they just used the key.

Now, I should ask what version is the key you are selling? If it is version 12, then I am as outraged as you. If it is version 9, for example, then I'm still outraged - but might see some of their logic. Until your note, you could sell an old key and, again, the buyer only had to pay the $475. If they wanted to keep using version 9, that was it. It seems that perhaps now they are forcing the buyer to upgrade to the current version and purchase a subscription?

Please clarify ... if this secret policy change is true, I certainly will not recommend ArchICAD to any new clients as I cannot support a company that makes policy changes like this without notification.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Yes... I have two ArchiCAD 12 keys...

Duane
Duane

Visual Frontiers

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I do not have the official Graphisoft Policy at hand, but this is what I was sent by my reseller. I have no reason to doubt this is the actually policy... Reseller is just a messenger here...

Duane,

Here the details on the ArchiCAD license transfer policy:

Cost - $2,095

* This fee includes the license registration cost ($1,400) and a new one-year subscription ($695).  The new subscription is included as part of the transfer fee and cannot separated from the license key.

* Only current versions of ArchiCAD can be transferred. The existing license holder must upgrade to the current version prior to putting the license up for sale.

* The transfer includes a one-year ArchiPLUS subscription. The subscription fee is included in the license transfer fee paid by the new owner.

* Existing subscription is not transferable.  If the transferred license is under subscription, this subscription is lost.  Subscription is not transferable and not refundable.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Chazz
Enthusiast
Some history on this here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=19743&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=upgrade...

I agree that this is an outrageous change of policy and it will have major impact on user's bottom lines and their (our) sentiments towards GS. We are already heading towards a mandatory subscription upgrade model and now we are getting closer to a more pure, non-resale, license-only use model a la AutoCAD.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Rakela Raul
Participant
im with you guys....disgusting GS !!
ductwork...maxonform..now this..getting dirty indeed

On a more decent note:

GS lower the cost of the software in the USA as i understood..
it used to be $4300 +- and now it is $3700 +- ..cheaper than MS and RV
i didnt dig that much but i think im right....

currently, for $4300 hundred you get ecodesigner included
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Chazz
Enthusiast
Rakela wrote:
GS lower the cost of the software in the USA as i understood.
They pretty much always run a promotional sale just prior to the annual upgrade cycle. At lease here in the US. I don't think it points to an actual change to the price of the software which has remained unchanged for years.

Save $500.00 - Was $4,250.00 - Now $3,750.00
ArchiCAD BIM Technology allows for system oriented building structures to be created in a natural hierarchical process.
>> Learn More about ArchiCAD 12.

Save $645.00 - Was $4,895.00 - Now $4,250.00
Using Graphisoft EcoDesigner architects can easily analyze, at an early stage, their design for energy efficiency.
>> Learn More about EcoDesigner.

Save $1,118.00 - Was $5,590.00 - Now $4,472.00
With ArchiPLUS you'll always have the current version of ArchiCAD and the resources to help you make the most of this leading 3D BIM technology.
>> Learn More about ArchiPLUS.

Save 10% - on upgrades to ArchiCAD 12
>> Learn More about ArchiCAD Upgrades
Save 25% - on upgrades to ArchiCAD 12 + ArchiPLUS Subscription
>> Learn More about Upgrading to ArchiPLUS.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
TomWaltz
Participant
Wow.... evil like this is usually from Dogbert.
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
Wow. Thanks for the clarification, Duane.

I will not recommend that any potential new user purchase ArchiCAD until this policy changes...a policy that still is nowhere to be found, other than the email from your reseller.

This is evil and greedy, indeed.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!