Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Wall area calculation

Lipi
Participant
I have searched the archives, but didn't find answers to my questions.

I need to calculate areas for a large apartment building. It consists of 3 towers and a common garage. I have all the walls separated by layers (bearing walls, bearing columns, facade walls, instalation walls, non-bearing walls).
Currently I need to calculate areas of contruction elements, non-bearing alement, facade walls. Sounds easy. I thought to use schedules or lists to extract the info, before entering it into excell.
Turns out to be a bit different in practice.

The bearing column is half free and half hidden in the facade wall. How do I calculate it now?

One idea I came across is to put a zone inside the facade walls and then get the areas needed by turning on different wall layers and seeing what the zone substracts.
Cumbersome, though.

Any better ideas?
ArchiCad 22, Sweden
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
HP ZBook 15u / Intel Core i7 8:e gen. 8550U / 1.8 GHz (4 GHz) / 8 MB Cache
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3100 / Intel HD Graphics 620, 2 GB
6 REPLIES 6
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Hi,
When you model walls and columns, the columns automatically performs a kind of SEO on the walls (if belonging to layers on the same priority) so when it gives you the wall surface, it subtracts the surface occupied by the column.
A similar thing happens with Slabs and Beams, beams performs a SEO on the Slabs.
Interfaces between beams and walls are handled by the specific object priority, and they also substract each other.
If you are looking for finishes quatities, I think the way to go is with zones, because with it you can calculate the specific wall surface inside a particular space. I have not found a way to separate between different wall finishes (material of the wall) in the schedule, I can only have the total wall surface (boundary surface).
I hope this helps

Regards

Hernando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Lipi
Participant
Thank you for your reply!

I think I may not have expressed myself clearly in the post (frustration might have had something to do with it). I needed to extract the wall areas, ie. the area they take up on the floor plan.
I ended up tracing them with different fills, which I think is probably the most time consuming way to get it done.
I'm sure there are much more effective ways, though. And easier.
I was worried about the SEO bit of the whole thing, and I needed precise values, so... fills it was.
ArchiCad 22, Sweden
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Lipi wrote:
Thank you for your reply!

I think I may not have expressed myself clearly in the post (frustration might have had something to do with it). I needed to extract the wall areas, ie. the area they take up on the floor plan.
I ended up tracing them with different fills, which I think is probably the most time consuming way to get it done.
I'm sure there are much more effective ways, though. And easier.
I was worried about the SEO bit of the whole thing, and I needed precise values, so... fills it was.
Hi Lipi,
If you need to calculate the areas inside the building (on plan) you can use the zones.
If what you need is to get the area occupied by construction elements (walls and columns) in floor plan, then you can chose and list the Parameter "Area of the Wall" or "area of the column" and it will return the area on plan.

Is this what you need?

regards
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Lipi
Participant
Yes, I needed the area of the construction. The rooma areas I did extract from zones, and a good thing too, there was about 1500 of them

The thing was, I needed to separate the exterior wallz, and the interior walls, and the columns the same way too. I had a lot of columns, that are half embeded into the exterior wall, but half of them stick put to the inside of the building. So I'd need to count it half half. What I was wondering was; the area the wall and the column share, where will it show up? With the walls, with the column, or both?
Same question for where the inner bearing wall overlaps the exterior non-bearing wall.
I attached a screenshot of the questionable areas.

I need my results exact for the building permit, so I need to know what excactly do I get out of the program.
ArchiCad 22, Sweden
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lipi wrote:
Yes, I needed the area of the construction. The rooma areas I did extract from zones, and a good thing too, there was about 1500 of them
Lipi,
You can indeed schedule the area of a wall and/or column. You have to add 'area' to the schedule fields from the available parameters column in you scheme settings.
Unfortunately, regardless of your walls being automatically cut by the columns and other walls, the scheduler will calculate the entire area so overlapping areas will essentially be calculated twice.
Not sure how to get around this...
Djordje
Ace
Lipi wrote:
You can also extract the interior wall surface per room using the Zones. Make sure that they fill the rooms fully.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen