Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Simple and fast object editing in AC?!?

Anonymous
Not applicable
after working with autocad, vectorworks and sketchup for years, i now have to learn archicad for the new office...

searching for fast block editing, i thought i missed something, because i couldn't find it.

I called the support and they told me archicad objects are much better than simple blocks and that i could edit an object by exploding it, make the changes and resave it... ?!?!?!? and: ...the overwritten object will be scaled to the extends of the first object! WHAT?!? this can't be true! where is the simple everytime to use block editing?!? this really sounds like a bad joke to me - i don't get it. which year do we have now? ... 2009? ... 1984?

what's the point, not to implement this essential funktion? i'm really curious to know it!
After years of CAD and 3D (3dsmax, c4d, modo) work i wasn't aware that i could miss such a common feature some time...

So is there any simple way to work with objects in archicad?

or is there any plug-in or something to get this feature in AC?!?
5 REPLIES 5
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
numerobis wrote:
or is there any plug-in or something to get this feature in AC?!?
ArchiForma - http://www.cigraph.it/cigraph/pagetrans.do?action=current_product&prodotti_id=2&lang=it
and check ArchiCAD default library also (Basic library/Special constrution/Basic shapes)
Important question is - what would You like to model?
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
ArchiCAD default library
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank You!
but i'm searching for a solution for the normal 2d-work for every object that is used several (or many) times in a drawing. in acad/sketchup/vw... i can select some objects and use "make block" (or component or symbol) and without any other work i now have a block that than can be edited by doubleclick or rightclick/edit...
so my question was, how do you work in AC if you want to use objects several times and be able to edit them quickly!?!
Karl Ottenstein
numerobis wrote:
Thank You!
but i'm searching for a solution for the normal 2d-work for every object that is used several (or many) times in a drawing. in acad/sketchup/vw... i can select some objects and use "make block" (or component or symbol) and without any other work i now have a block that than can be edited by doubleclick or rightclick/edit...
so my question was, how do you work in AC if you want to use objects several times and be able to edit them quickly!?!
If you're just talking about 2D work, the concept is similar - you just do not use double-click to open the 2D object ('block') - you select the object and use ctrl-shift-O (or assign this shortcut to Open Object if it is not). Then edit the symbol, save, and all placed parts are updated, just like an autocad block.

If your 'block' is a symbol, then you can just capture it to an object, and then follow the instructions above. If you have lots of autocad blocks that you want to be objects in ArchiCAD, there is a conversion option which will create a folder of objects, one per block, for your use.

If your 'block' is instead a 2D 'trick' to cover up a modeling or other error, then look at the online help for the Patch Tool - which basically captures a 2D screenshot within the marquee, making it an editable symbol, and places the symbol as an overlay at the same time.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rocorona
Booster
you need to learn the use of the grouping commands too. They can be useful if the "blocks" you make are only for the current drawing.

And don't forget the modules, for more complex "blocks".

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10