Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

wall priority help

Anonymous
Not applicable
not sure i understand exactly how wall priorities work..what exactly would be the correct priorities for this intersection to be accurate?
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does the "no response" mean that there's no solution - or that I'm being such a bonehead that I'm missing something REALLY obvious?
Thomas Holm
Booster
Perhaps I'm the bonehead, but to me it looks like they may not really intersect at all. Check that the reference lines really meet!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
__archiben
Booster
personally, i wouldn't try to lump so much all on to the one wall. i would create the mouldings and panels as a separate profile. complex profiles are still in their infancy: you will have more luck intersecting two identical profiles. it's taken graphisoft 20+ years and they still can't get orthogonal composite walls and slabs to intersect - do you honestly think they're going to get "complex" shapes intersecting straight off of the bat?!

sure there is extra work involved in maintaining two walls, but since you're about renovation the exterior wall (structure) is likely to remain static: by creating the moulding and panels separately you get to swap them out for different ones without having to mess with the whole wall. you also have the flexibility of 'cladding' some rooms and not others and using the same profile across projects?

just a thought . . . ?
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
personally, i wouldn't try to lump so much all on to the one wall. i would create the mouldings and panels as a separate profile. complex profiles are still in their infancy: you will have more luck intersecting two identical profiles. it's taken graphisoft 20+ years and they still can't get orthogonal composite walls and slabs to intersect - do you honestly think they're going to get "complex" shapes intersecting straight off of the bat?!

sure there is extra work involved in maintaining two walls, but since you're about renovation the exterior wall (structure) is likely to remain static: by creating the moulding and panels separately you get to swap them out for different ones without having to mess with the whole wall. you also have the flexibility of 'cladding' some rooms and not others and using the same profile across projects?

just a thought . . . ?
~/archiben
I hear you. I had them as several separate walls initially, but it really wreaks havoc on the window schedule because you have to have separate window openings to penetrate all of those interior "walls". Unless I'm missing something. There are some work arounds for that ... but I really wanted to try to get this thing to work.
__archiben
Booster
mc0m wrote:
... but it really wreaks havoc on the window schedule because you have to have separate window openings to penetrate all of those interior "walls". Unless I'm missing something. There are some work arounds for that ...
there are: ensure all of the empty openings have no ID or a specific ID that can be excluded - that will sort it out quickly.

but yes - it does become higher maintenance. i tend to avoid complex profiles as much as possible and use true accessories where i can: they aren't perfect, but deliver the true BIM intelligence that is promised but never truly apparent.

does the wall accessory 'moulding and panels' - attached by way of zone/room accessories - not work for you?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:

does the wall accessory 'moulding and panels' - attached by way of zone/room accessories - not work for you?

~/archiben
This is the first I've heard of this ...

Guess I get to give it a look.

Thank you for pointing this out.
__archiben
Booster
mc0m wrote:
This is the first I've heard of this ...
make sure that you've downloaded the 'accessories', 'accessories library' and 'interior wizard' from GS's website.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have other issue regarding wall priority;
The upper wall it's a composite wall and acts different to wall/beam with the same profile.
As you can see in the picture the composite wall and the profile wall doesn't intersect as in the right case with the beam.
What's the problem?
Thx
Anonymous
Not applicable
Catalin!

Can your beam priority be 14? Surely it is 13 or 15.

It may be easiest to cut the complex profile wall out of the composite wall using a Solid Element Operation.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes the priority it's 14 and make no difference at 13 and 15.

the wall priority override the skin priority so in any case the above wall with the lower priority will not be cut by the wall with the higher priority.

it's far more easy to put beam instead of wall to solve the problem and do some solid operations.