BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Schedules in feet and inches exported to Excel problem-HELP!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have discovered a real stumbling block to using my schedules in excel.

I model everything so I can use the schedules to order materials from.

The problem is that with certain items like linear feet of closet shelving (Which shows up in feet and inches) has the foot sign (') and inch sign (") in the dimension text making it impossible to cross multiply or do special adding within Excel.

I even tried to change the preferences (working units & Levels) to decimal feet which worked, but then the dang foot sign was still there.

I know of no way to tell Excel to convert alphabet and number combinations into numbers only. ie, 30'-6" cannot be converted within Excel to 30.5 except manually, which if that is the only way to accomplish my goal, then exporting the schedule to excel is a futile effort because manually changing the volume of numbers I have would be absurd.

Is there a setting that will post the lengths, widths, heights, etc in decimal feet without the ' and " ?

You can see a cscreen shot of my schedule where I change it to decimals and the dang foot sign is still there.
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Screenshot showing where the conversion function shows up in Mac Office 2004 (looks pretty similar to Office for Windows) ... if you need to copy the code into another Excel project.
Hey Karl, you should put together a High Tech Fly Fishing (HTFF) in West Yellowstone where we can train in the middle of the day and fish in the am and pm.

Please don't tell me you're not into fly fishing.
Karl Ottenstein
vincon2 wrote:
Hey Karl, you should put together a High Tech Fly Fishing (HTFF) in West Yellowstone where we can train in the middle of the day and fish in the am and pm.

It's a possibility when the economy comes back and people feel like spending again. 🙂 I never picked up fly fishing (not that I'm not game), but some local ArchiCAD-architects are pros (used to be guides) and I bet could be talked into being our 'facilitators'. 😉 Would likely plan multiple activities for people to choose from including hiking, rock climbing, river running, trail biking, horseback riding, Yellowstone touring/photography, etc. to draw a good crowd.

K
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
vincon2 wrote:

It's a possibility when the economy comes back and people feel like spending again. 🙂 I never picked up fly fishing (not that I'm not game), but some local ArchiCAD-architects are pros (used to be guides) and I bet could be talked into being our 'facilitators'. 😉 Would likely plan multiple activities for people to choose from including hiking, rock climbing, river running, trail biking, horseback riding, Yellowstone touring/photography, etc. to draw a good crowd.

K
I'm available to help if you ever decide to do this, just drop me a line
Geof Gainer
Booster
Um... fly fishing or no, nice revision. Thanks.
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 26 Build 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon,. 2022 Mac Studio, 32G ram. OS X 12.6.2
Karl Ottenstein
Geof wrote:
Um... fly fishing or no, nice revision. Thanks.
You're welcome, Geof. Now, to ponder why only people with the name Geof / Jeff are interested in this... 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very nice Karl,

I had this same issue a couple of years ago. After a google search I found this,

http://josh.com/InchCalc/index.htm

It's a handy little Excel addin to convert from feet & inches to decimal inches and vice versa. It's a free download with a downloadable example that shows how it works.

Doug
Gus
Newcomer
Does this work with Office 2013?
I've never used visual basic before, but I have been following some tutorials on how to cut and paste this stuff to use the modules. However, I keep getting errors, specifically about an "ambiguous name?

On a side note, maybe there is an easier way to do this now. I'm basically trying to do an automatic take-off from schedules I created for all the members of a deck addition design
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
Learn and get certified!