Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trimmed walls shown incorrectly in plan...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, just after some advice on a problem I'm having in AC12...

I have a wall which is angled at 70 degrees, "cutting through" the glazed foyer of a building. The wall is also tapered towards the bottom (See 3D image attached). The taper was acheived by trimming to roofs and then deleting the roofs.

While ArchiCAD will quite happily show the correct cut through the wall in relation to the 70 degree angle of the wall (ie, where the wall is located at 1000mm above FFL, or wherever the cut plane is set), it refuses to show the correct cut at the ends of the wall, where it has been trimmed by roofs.

In the images attached, I have highlighted the offending wall in pink. In plan, the wall should ideally be shown much shorter, with the projection & overhead lines tapering as the wall does in 3D.

As you can see in the 3D image, this is also causing some issues with unwanted wall intersections (On the landing of the stairs) where the walls overlap in plan, even though they don't cross each other in 3D.

I am only fairly new to ArchiCAD, so I apologise if this is a stupid question... But it's driving me crazy!
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is how it looks in 2D... Ideally the pink wall should show the taper as seen in the image above...
Barry Kelly
Unfortunately Solid Element Operations and Trim To Roof operations do not show in plan - with or without Floor Plan Cutting Planes.

A big limitation of Archicad and one of the major wishes in my opinion.

All you can resort to is covering fills and linework.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick reply...

Is there any way I can prevent the walls below this tapered wall from trying to intersect? I have tried playing with wall priorities, but no luck...
Barry Kelly
If they are in the same layer then you have to manipulate how they trim (if you can't manage it with the wall priorities).
The best way is to select the wall you want to manipulate and CTRL click on the edge of the wall where you want it to terminate.
This way you control how the wall trims and you are not relying on the reference lines to automatically trim.

I'm not sure how this will go against a tapered wall though.

However if they are in different layers than you can give each layer a different intersection priority number.
Walls in layers with different numbers won't trim.
And I have heard if the intersection priority number is 0 (zero) they will not trim at all.

Remember the layer priority numbers are saved with the layer combinations and can be set differently for each combination.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup! Setting the entire layer to a different priority worked perfectly... Thanks for your help!