Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

HOW DO SMALL FIRMS WORK?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I work in a small firm (5 people). There are two principals who do not use ArchiCAD, and three of us, myself included, who do. We do a lot of residential work and some commercial/institutional.

What I am trying to figure out is how most firms around our size work in ArchiCAD. Do you do all 3D, or a combination of 2D and 3D? I will explain how we work and you can tell me how far behind the times we are...

We do all our floorplans the standard way, using wall composites, library parts, etc., but we do some lines on the floorplans to show ceiling lines, wall type markers, etc. (I think this is a given). We do make sure wall heights, slab/roof heights, etc. are all correct so we can show clients a nice 3D model, so for the most part we have tight, accurate 3D models.

I think where we are "behind the times" is when we get to elevations and sections. These we do all as line drawings. We use the model as a backdrop to make sure we are on track and walls, etc are where they are supposed to be, but due to the level of detail our principals like to see, we find that making line drawings with fills are more detailed than anything else we know how to do.

I know we should look into the complex profiles/profile manager tool, I admit that we are usually too busy and the principals don't allow much time to further our knowledge in ArchiCAD, just enough time to do the project. We have explained that we can increase productivity by learning more, and now we have a few hours a week dedicated to "messing around" in the program. We don't add footings to basement walls, for example, because we just draw them in 2D in the sections.

So summarizing the questions:

1) How you do work? All 3D sections/elevation? Line?

2) What tools do you use?

3) What tools/methods would you recommend using to be more 3D (thus more efficient)?
61 REPLIES 61
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use to work very similarly to the way you currently work... The way I've moved more to a full 3D model is a little at a time... Just adding a few more 3D details on each project... Now I/we still do some things in 2D. Wall sections and detail sections are still often 2D, but elevations are almost if not completely 3D. One of the things that we've found very useful with this level of 3D work is that we can create many details in 3D that are much more helpful than the 2D options. For instance custom casework, we will make plans sections and elevations but then also show the 3D view with notes. This view ends up being very helpful to us, the clients and the contractor... I also found that the more I do in 3D the better/quicker I get. So I think now I can create elements in 3D as fast and sometimes faster than 2D.
Stuart Smith
Booster
Your firm sounds similar to ours. We used to do sections and elevations in 2D as well, up until AC10 probably. We would open up the elevation/section window, select all, copy, paste, and move pasted 2D lines down below the view of the model and use those to generate the drawing. What a pain!

We are currently using the generated 3D views for our building elevations and sections, interior elevations and wall sections.
For building elevations and sections, we overlay some 2D line and fillwork for trim and finish materials as required, especially in SD and DD, but try to model as much as possible by CDs.
For interior elevations, we use 2D fills and lines for trim and finish patterns, typically, but have started modeling trim in some projects. Complex Profiles have really helped with this. We use columns for vertical trim and beams for horizontal since their intersections "clean up" in 3D.

For sections, one thing that was key for us, was deciding to make every element have the same cut fill (Empty Fill in our case) so that section cuts through walls and slabs and roofs all "flow together". We still use composites for walls, but all of the fills are Empty Fill, and the name of composite tells you what it is.
Wall sections and details we draw in 2D over the generated 3D drawing.

I honestly don't think we have gained any efficiency from working in 3D. We still spend the same amount of time on projects that we did when we were doing everything in 2D. What we gain is a faster feedback loop on design issues, better drawing coordination, and another presentation tool to help clients see the design.
v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
Erich
Contributor
Steven wrote:
1) How you do work? All 3D sections/elevation? Line?
2) What tools do you use?
3) What tools/methods would you recommend using to be more 3D (thus more efficient)?
Steven,

My firm is about the same size as yours and does primarily high end residential work. We try to model most things including the sections and elevations, with minimal line work and added element. However, to do this I have had to develop some fairly strong GDL skills to fill the gaps where the standard library is weak.

Definitely look into using complex profiles, Dwight our ever present guru has shown us that we can do wonderful things with this tool. In my work they make fast moldings and trims that are also easy to change.

I agree with Stuart that the promise of extra speed with Virtual Building seems mostly a myth and my speed is about the same as when I was using FlatCAD. But the benefit of better coordination and feedback more that makes up for that myth.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all, this confirms my suspicions.....

I will get into Complex profiles and slowly try and nudge the office towards working with them more.

Keep them coming
Rick Thompson
Expert
I am 100% of the staff, and only do residential. I started in 1995 with AC, and I still use the same plans I started back then... plus many more. With each AC release I update the plans, as I get to them. So, I end up converting elevations that were just manual, to auto.. etc.. as new features come out. I continually teak the model adding greater detail, auto text, scheduling...etc.

The more advanced the pln becomes, the faster modifications become. I would say to do anything less than 100% modeling is shorting your efforts. I routinely modify plans (I sell stock plans) and the time and energy to do so is much less when the model is advanced. Also, once you get an evolved template, with a complete favorite file (I mean everything you can put in it.. all wall possibilities you use, windows, doors, objects.. etc.) you can generate models a whole lot quicker than otherwise possible... complete with accurate material list.

It's worth the upfront effort.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
PB
Advocate
As a sole practitioner, I rarely resort to 2D work other than details referenced from the general plans/elevations/sections. All the additional detail needed on plans/elevations/sections is added with lines & fills.

It has taken a good number of years to get 'proficient' at this (whilst doing all the other activities involved in running a one-man-band), but the benefits are without doubt for me. A project will evolve considerably over time as the 'contributions' of client, planning authority, statutory bodies, consultants, etc. are addresssed. Once the scheme is modeled in 3D, the time & effort saved in making changes, updating drawings, & issuing them to all concerned is immense.

It is perfectly possible to generate elevations and sections that are as detailed, precise, and communicative as those done in CAD (or by hand!), but it will take practise/training. But to misquote an old saying....."nothing invested, nothing gained"!

As there are 3 of you, I would have thought that it was well worth your practice investing in some structured training or tutorials for you all (the partners included).....

Good luck.
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I work with two small practices, both with only a Principle Architect, an assistant and me.

With one we use ArchiCAD, and do pretty much everything in 3D. Complex profiles, the interior add-ons on the graphisoft site, the google earth add-on etc all enable you to create and use a large variety of objects to create fantastic elevations, sections and views. I've only been using ArchiCAD for about a year, but I find no need to go back to 2D.

The other practice used Vectorworks, which (in my opinion) is still in it's infancy with regards to BIM. Since using ArchiCAD and seeing the potential of using the 3D capabilities I've managed to persuade them to at least try to use the 3D tools available instead of staying with 2D. In the month or so since we've almost doubled work out put and accuracy.

All I can say is you can stay where you're 'comfortable' in the realms of 2D drawings, which work and you know you can do them; or go out on a limb and 'mess around' with the 3D abilitys of the program you use.

I've also had experience of AutoCAD along with Vectorworks, but I have to say ArchiCAD is the easiest one to get used too and learn from. Using the help, this forum and your own 'excitement' I'm sure you could change the partners minds; I took the dongle home over a weekend, and came back with an example file that changed my employers mind completely!!!

A final note in this disjointed rant... Would you spend thousands on a brand new Porche and only use 1st gear? Would you spend thousands on a high level 3D BIM CAD program and only use the 2D??!!!

Best of luck!!!!!!!

Joe
Anonymous
Not applicable
JoeyCAD wrote:
A final note in this disjointed rant... Would you spend thousands on a brand new Porche and only use 1st gear? Would you spend thousands on a high level 3D BIM CAD program and only use the 2D??!!!

Best of luck!!!!!!!

Joe
Haha, VERY well put. As I said, I am now trying to bring the rest of the firm to start doing this, but it will be a little at a time, as some here don't seem willing to work outside of their "bubble"....
Anonymous
Not applicable
All,

Attached is a section, a typical one as far as detail goes for us. Is this type of thing reproducible with 3D?