Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad new release every year madness

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a thing that many Cad firms are falling into these days - releasing a new version every year. Just when you think you have got used to a programme they change it. Archicad changed massively between version 9 and 10 to the point where we gave up on it as a firm.

Now we use Autocad and are very glad to go back to the semblence of normality cad wise. Alsthough Autocad also changes year on year its not anything you ever notice in a big way.

But do these firms realise they are actually pushing their users away by this ridiculous attitude to new features. Once you could say you were good at cad without training. These days you need to train every year just to keep up with the software.

Architects have loads to worry about these days without concerning themselves over CAD software.

Give me simplicity any day. Learn from Google.

Nats
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
You don't have to upgrade at every release.
We went from 8.1 to 10 then to 12.
In fact you don't have to upgrade at all if you are happy with what you have.

9 to 10 was quite a big change as that was when plotmaker became integrated.
Ever since then it has been quite little steps.
Everything that was in 10 still works the same in 12 - but there are new features that make life easier.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
nats wrote:
. Archicad changed massively between version 9 and 10 to the point where we gave up on it as a firm.

Now we use Autocad and are very glad to go back to the semblence of normality cad wise. Alsthough Autocad also changes year on year its not anything you ever notice in a big way.

Give me simplicity any day.
You wanted simplicity, so in order to escape from annual changes in ArchiCAD you switched to CAD software renowned for its complexity and also changes annually. I'm missing something...

Change is a fact of life - something that doesn't change is dead. That's why English speakers of today can no longer understand old English, but Latin will no longer evolve.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
nats troll is back
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree people don't notice much of the changes in AutoCad.
It's a fact this software is not improving much but still everyone is paying for it.

It's far more frustrating dealing with co-workers leaving the office on a one year cycle than dealing with ArchiCAD's every 12-1... months release.