Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Cannot Write Output File

Anonymous
Not applicable
Where can I send my file to find out what's going on? I have a fairly simple model, and I just want to save it out to .atl format so I can render it.

Yet I get this message. I purged every unused attribute, and have tried everything I can think of. To no avail.

Having used AC since version 9, this problem has been around for ages. What is going on?

Graphisoft -

If you want your users to be happy, you should include some information with your error messages. It is ludicrous that you are in version 12 and this is still an issue. What could possibly be preventing you from implementing this? All you have to do is generate a log for file export - then users could view the log and see what is going wrong.
11 REPLIES 11
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Most likely you are running out of memory...

But here's something you can try... Yes, it's a pain, but it should get you where you want to go.

Start ISOLATING your model. Typically for me, I do the TERRAIN as one .atl, the building as another. If you have TREES... don't export them... There are much better looking ones in Artlantis (free .3ds files, too)..

Once you are able to export several files, Open ONE of them as the MAIN file and use the MERGE GEOMETRY in the FILE menu...

Voila!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
vfrontiers wrote:
Most likely you are running out of memory...
Unfortunately I don't see that being part of the problem...

The history of the file is that it used to be a mess, and I was tasked with creating a template and putting it into the template.
so I made a new template file to fit the project into, and copy/pasted everything into that. that's when the problems started. if I hotlink all of my stuff back into the old file, it exports just fine... same geometry and everything. All trees and objects are in artlantis to begin with, so that's a non-issue. It's actually a fairly small model - I have exported much larger stuff before on the same computer without a problem.

If I take my file and strip everything out of it, leaving a single wall, then try to save it... I get the same error. So something in the file's architecture would seem to be the culprit... but how I go about discerning that, I have no clue
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Fair enough...

I am heading for a similar problem.. I have a HUGE file 330mb that can't write output file. Only the output file is ARCHICAD! Usually changing the destination will let me save, but I fear any day now, the file will just stop working....

If you find the person at Graphisoft to send it to, let me know!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Karl Ottenstein
The Artlantis-out add-on is provided by Abvent. You should contact Abvent technical support, not Graphisoft for this issue. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
guitarchitect wrote:
I made a new template file to fit the project into, and copy/pasted everything into that. that's when the problems started. if I hotlink all of my stuff back into the old file, it exports just fine... same geometry and everything.
You could try to create a new file (from the template) and then Merge the problem file into it.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
I use 3DS format in such cases, instead fighting with ArchiCAD file to isolate bug in model.
3DS format for Artlantis works like *atl, the only difference is that scale for model should be set during opening.
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a similar problem whenever i try to save a layout as pdf it pops out. Can someone tell me how to solve this problem?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do you have access to the folder you are trying to save to?
Is the PDF file you want to save to opened in a PDF Viewer app by any chance? This can happen when you save a PDF, open it in the PDF Viewer, do not close it, and then you try to save to that PDF again.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same problem and it drives me crazy! Any file I try to save - pdf, dwg, whatever... I still get this message. Everything worked fine a week ago, I do not know what happened... and it is same with any project I open. Saving a new file or merging a project does not help. I have already reinstalled my Archicad but still getting the same result. What the hell is going on?