Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Making a Template File

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have a solo project file that is blank, with some items pasted in there that we use frequently, as our "Template" file (not actually a template). I know this is bad, so please leave out the criticism.

I am now in the process of saving our file as a template.

My question is, how is an actual template file different? The help menu in ArchiCAD does not explain template files well at all, like the pre-saved options you can have, what they are, etc. For example, every time we start a project and put a double hung window in, we have to adjust all the settings. If you set these, will the template file save these settings? Any help at all/explanations of how the template file works would be greatly appreciated...
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Never use "Template" file.
I'm forever adding something, or adjusting based on something I've learned.
So I just strip out the model specific items and go with that.
I got tired of constantly upgrading my old "Template".
I don't care if it's "bad", it works great for me.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Seems to me a .tpl file is exactly like a .pln, except that when you select the Save command, it will prompt you for a file name etc like when you Save As... a .pln.

If you use a .pln as a base for new projects, you will need to remember to use Save As, or you will overwrite the original.

So a .tpl is safer.

The default object (in this case, window) settings are stored in the library, not in the .pln or .tpl. You should save your changed window as a Favorite.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas,

We always have a backup of our "Template" file, so no need to worry about saving over.

So, I guess we will just continue as we are.

I never really paid attention to the "Favorites" tool, but oh my is that useful! I don't know how we worked without that! It will for sure save us a lot of time in the future. Thanks for that helpful tidbit. Any more of those?
Thomas Holm
Booster
Steven wrote:
...Any more of those?
Keep on browsing this forum!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1