Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Import/ Export to Revit

Anonymous
Not applicable
“Architect shall describe internal abilities to produce the project in software compatible with AutoCad MEP 2009/Revit2009 software, as this may be the preferred software package for the project.”
Archicad needs to develop an import/export for Revit files immediately. I can say for a fact. If my office is told we did not get a job because we were not on Revit...Goodbye Archicad hello Revit.

I know Revit is not any better and it seems I spend a lot of time convincing my supervisors that Archicad is the right solution for us...But my friends, we lose a job because of this.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
you really think that's possible?
Holger Kreienbrink
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Try IFC

One of our big customers (25 licences) has done a full building in Hamburg in 3D+construction documentation in ArchiCAD. They gave the full BIM to Revit via IFC. Everything was inside, nothing missing!
Holger Kreienbrink
Director Product Intelligence
Munich, Germany
Archicad since Version 5....
If I sound too harsh, please forgive me: I am German.
jorgec wrote:
“Architect shall describe internal abilities to produce the project in software compatible with AutoCad MEP 2009/Revit2009 software, as this may be the preferred software package for the project.”
Archicad needs to develop an import/export for Revit files immediately. I can say for a fact. If my office is told we did not get a job because we were not on Revit...Goodbye Archicad hello Revit.

I know Revit is not any better and it seems I spend a lot of time convincing my supervisors that Archicad is the right solution for us...But my friends, we lose a job because of this.
As I already pointed out in the other thread, it is more than likely not possible, due to the fact that Native Revit Files (.RVT format) are a closed format - just like Native ArchiCAD file format ( .PLN) is also closed to be readable by and writable from only ArchiCAD.

I'm not sure how GS would be able to develop a .rvt importer/exporter or translator without having an previously agreed upon arrangement with Autodesk (like they had with @Last/Google for the Sketchup importer) or short of violating some licensing/patent issues.

ArchiCAD already has decent import/export to common Industry standard open file formats such as .dwg, .3ds, .obj, and IFC ( although it should be pointed out that improvements can still be made in so far as things like .dwg file linking are concerned, FBX format, and so forth). Consequently the onus is on Autodesk to improve Revit's interoperability with open formats given just how poor it is at the moment. Although it would be somewhat understandable if they felt that complacent that they didn't need to do so, since by their estimation Revit is so commonly used, and/or they are buying out any and all other software that they may need to exchange formats with Revit.

On the flip side, if your client, potential client or consultants are dictating to you what sort of software you should be using to design your projects by way of insisting on a particular file format, then you need to get yourself a better class of clients or consultants to work with. It's one thing to ask for projects to be submitted in open formats like I already pointed out such as dwg or pdf and the like, but to request it in an application specific format like that is quite another thing.

I highly doubt that Picasso was ever told what brush or paints to use by his subjects or clients.
TomWaltz
Participant
Holger wrote:
Try IFC

One of our big customers (25 licences) has done a full building in Hamburg in 3D+construction documentation in ArchiCAD. They gave the full BIM to Revit via IFC. Everything was inside, nothing missing!
One problem: IFC only has the model. I think the goal here is to be able to open details, sections, sheets, etc.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
In our case we would love to see full compatibility. That is, we open or import a file done in Revit directly inside Archicad. Just like we currently do with AutoCAD files.

IFC would be fine with us. Frankly, I think this is where we need to be as an industry but as many of you know it's not in AutoDesk's best interest and they, in my opinion have no desire to work within a universal format as that would ruin their goal of Industry domination....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom is correct! It's more than just the model.
Holger Kreienbrink
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Yes and No, IFC is the modell (+ all 2D stuff in 2x3) and of course you would some PDFs for the full documentation.

And I doubt that it is possible for us to create a native import as the Revit format is not open. And I guess the dark side of the force is not willing to give us access to it
Holger Kreienbrink
Munich, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable
Holger wrote:
Yes and No, IFC is the modell (+ all 2D stuff in 2x3) and of course you would some PDFs for the full documentation.

And I doubt that it is possible for us to create a native import as the Revit format is not open. And I guess the dark side of the force is not willing to give us access to it
Mr. Kreienbrink you are very self-assured... I put yesterday a very basic IFC problem, about window's reveal and actually, nobody seems to have an obvious answer. Do you? link
Holger Kreienbrink
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Suggestion: report this with a PLA to your reseller so the IFC developer from Graphisoft can directly take care of that. We usually do it like this. And he has got a very short reaction time!!
Ne needs feedback like this so he can make the IFC better.
Holger Kreienbrink
Munich, Germany