BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Log Homes in ArchiCad 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to draw Log Homes using ArchiCad12? I am a very new user of ArchiCad (I am trying it out, evaluation copy). I have been using AutoCad and am finding it very ineffective when it comes to modeling a 3D copy of the home. I've heard some good things about ArchiCad but if it really can't do log homes then it isn't for me.

Oh, I am designing log homes using the full Scandinavian scribe (using the full log profile inside and out not the "D" profile of milled logs.

I would like to do this within ArchiCad without a plug-in.

Thanks for any help...
7 REPLIES 7
Dwight
Newcomer
See the wall tool for log options.

Also understand that the complex profile tool can emulate any shape you want
Dwight Atkinson
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
Please look here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=28854
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been designing log homes with ArchiCAD for about 6 years now. I have been able to successfully do it since version 6.5. With the introduction of the complex wall profile it is much easier to do. However I have yet to find a good way to show a log with a taper. Only milled logs are constant from one end to the other. It would be nice to get the computer to have one course go from large to small and reverse the next course up. Otherwise log homes are just a best guess at this point.
JaredBanks
Mentor
The complex profile tool works quite nice for log walls. I'm assisting with aa big log home right now. We've also been in contact with a firm out of Montana or Oregon that has been doing exclusively log structures in archicad for years.

To get the end cuts looking right, look into Solid Element Operations. We've used complex profile operators to cut the ends to whatever we want (the profile is the positive of whatever wacky cut we want). You can get pretty complex with it.

If you're super new to ArchiCAD and expect to do this with zero effort, you'll be very sad. Once you understand the process though, it's pretty simple and quick.

I think the log wall function of the wall tool is too limited for serious use.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
To get tapered logs, you might try the cone object in Basic Shapes.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
The major problem with using tapered logs in a wall is that you lose the advantages of a wall. That is windows, doors etc. They do work well for accent pieces such as decorative columns and beams.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maybe a specially written Wall End library part would do the job of tapered end Log Walls.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!