Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

1 point Skewed Wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I have been a lurker for quite long here in A-talk. When i encounter any problem that bugs me at work, this is my first resource that i go to and i feel that most of my problems are solved by someone sometime ago. Until now, well perhaps forgive me if there is already a solution i must have missed it out from my search.

Here is what is bugging me.

We want to have a wall that is skewed but only on one corner. I tried to think of the skewer/ xform function but it doesnt solve what i wanted. I have actually done some thing from AC - C4D connection but seems that the end result is not desirable due to alot of edges that i would get from the openings that i have.

To get a more clearer picture of this, enclosed is the screen shot of the wall for your reference.

Really appreciate the help and thank you for all the information that you have shared through this forums.

Cheers,

Picture 2.png
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Shaded + Wireframe

Problem with this is that in AC i will be able to see all the tesselated lines/ edges in plan, elevation and sketch rendering views.
Picture 1.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
i think you have to add an angled roof plane, then trim to roof, and then delete the roof.
this will give the desired effect.
Anonymous
Not applicable
splitlid wrote:
i think you have to add an angled roof plane, then trim to roof, and then delete the roof.
this will give the desired effect.
x2. this is how i do mine all the time
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply guys. i will give this a try. one thing i thought of is using a mesh the convert it to roof so that i can trim the element.

Im still looking some tool that might be able to displace a single point in space other than mesh. see how this goes. i will give you guys an update.
Thomas Holm
Booster
I'm not completely sure I understand what you want, (sorry for my English) but if you by "skew" by one point mean that you push the top right corner of the wall sideways (perpendicular to the wall plane) so that the whole wall curves, the 'trim to angled roof plane' method described before will not give the desired result.

I think you should try Objective. It costs a little but will give you a lot of other options as well. And is easy to use. And doesn't cost extra for each new Archicad version.

A cheaper way might be to build the wall 'on the ground' with the Mesh3D object (look in the Depository) and then tilt it up (using some tilt utility, also in the Depository).

But the windows will still be a problem. You can create small window-sized ordinary walls (one for each window) and insert those into pre-created openings in the curved wall object.

Hope this helps, and that I'm not too far off target
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Thomas,

As a matter of fact, you are simply spot-on. I thought of the roof trim method, but i just cant to resolve in my mind hence hesitant to try it.

Your suggestion of having 3d MESH Object would definitely work. but the problem would lie on the alignments of the windows but its worth the try nevertheless.

I will give objective a try, will see if they have a demo.

Will post updates if anything comes up.

Thank you again Thomas.

CHeers,
Thomas Holm
Booster
As a matter of fact, you are simply spot-on. I thought of the roof trim method, but i just cant to resolve in my mind hence hesitant to try it.

Your suggestion of having 3d MESH Object would definitely work. but the problem would lie on the alignments of the windows but its worth the try nevertheless.
Thanks!

Make an elevation view of your original wall, explode it to 2D, copy and paste on the floor plan, then create the 3D mesh with just the four corners as nodes, skew it (by changing the height of one corner), then cut the window holes using the 2D lines as guides.

Skewing before making the holes will make them regular seen from the final side and thus make it easy to insert the "window walls". This would also make them easier to build IRL - regular rectangular vertical windows, nothing else.

Actually, I'm not sure how to cut holes in a 3D mesh. If it doesn't respond to anything else, a SEO operation should work. Still in that floor plan, create thicker slabs at each window position, group & select the slabs, make an object of THEM (this may be unnecessary).

Now in the 3D window, SEO subtract the slabs from the 3D mesh, put them on a separate layer, group them together with the 3D mesh, suspend groups, make the slab object layer invisible, turn on groups again.

Still in the 3D window, select the 3D mesh and save that as an object.

Now tilt it up (i don't remember the name of the tilt utility/object in the Dep.)

Now you can start creating the little walls for each window and insert them into the holes.

I'm sorry if I've made some mistake here. Still at home, in bed, I can't test it. But this is an interesting challenge!

Still think Objective is the better option though, especially if you have tasks like this frequently. (Objective will also work as an object tilt utility btw.)
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erika Epstein
Booster
Dont' forget, there is an add-on in archicad Mesh to roof.
Design>Design Extras>Create roofs from mesh.

This has to be done in the floor plan window.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
is the wall you want something like this except with windows ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25