BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

HOW DO SMALL FIRMS WORK?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I work in a small firm (5 people). There are two principals who do not use ArchiCAD, and three of us, myself included, who do. We do a lot of residential work and some commercial/institutional.

What I am trying to figure out is how most firms around our size work in ArchiCAD. Do you do all 3D, or a combination of 2D and 3D? I will explain how we work and you can tell me how far behind the times we are...

We do all our floorplans the standard way, using wall composites, library parts, etc., but we do some lines on the floorplans to show ceiling lines, wall type markers, etc. (I think this is a given). We do make sure wall heights, slab/roof heights, etc. are all correct so we can show clients a nice 3D model, so for the most part we have tight, accurate 3D models.

I think where we are "behind the times" is when we get to elevations and sections. These we do all as line drawings. We use the model as a backdrop to make sure we are on track and walls, etc are where they are supposed to be, but due to the level of detail our principals like to see, we find that making line drawings with fills are more detailed than anything else we know how to do.

I know we should look into the complex profiles/profile manager tool, I admit that we are usually too busy and the principals don't allow much time to further our knowledge in ArchiCAD, just enough time to do the project. We have explained that we can increase productivity by learning more, and now we have a few hours a week dedicated to "messing around" in the program. We don't add footings to basement walls, for example, because we just draw them in 2D in the sections.

So summarizing the questions:

1) How you do work? All 3D sections/elevation? Line?

2) What tools do you use?

3) What tools/methods would you recommend using to be more 3D (thus more efficient)?
61 REPLIES 61
jbArch
Newcomer
Jere wrote:
The more I see of your drawings, the more i'm tempted to use the insulation fill. Normally i'll just draw the insulation using the library part.
I never have liked the library part... I just use linetypes. I can't remember if these are built in to AC or if I built them myself, since I've been using them since AC6.5 or so.
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
jbArch
Newcomer
Jere wrote:
Couldn't you just incorporate that into the complex profile or are the exterior walls just composites?
Strangely, I had never thought of using complex profiles for ordinary 2x frame walls... I just use the old fashioned wall tool. Are people regularly doing this with success? I could see some hiccups at rake walls, etc. But otherwise it would seem to be a smart approach. Any links to relevant threads on this topic?

JB
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
KeesW
Advocate
An interesting and relevant discussion!

We are also quite small, comprising one architect, a technician and an architect/urban designer. We model most components of a project but complete the work with some 2D lines in details for, e.g. flashings and damp courses, electrical and plumbing plans.

Our plans, internal and external elevations, sections , joinery plans and details are fully modelled and are usually presented as generated by Archicad. What methods do we use with our drafting?

1. Cadimage add-ons, including Door and Window Builder. Their output is excellent and their draftmanship is immaculate.

2. Archicad's 'model display' options in section and elevation settings to show colour, shading and textures which soften the otherwise rather 'computerise' looking drawings. We used to muck around with adding 2D lines to elevation outlines and features to make drawings look more 'architectural' but this is quite time consuming. Using appropriate textures and shading is nearly as good (I wish AC had the grahic understanding of edges and surface junctions of SketchUp!).

3. Cadimage 'Keynotes' to notate plans, elevations and sections. We don't use these for details because they require too many unique descriptive comments.

Hope that this is helpful. Will send more info, including examples, if people are interested.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
Will send more info, including examples, if people are interested.
I would love to see some example sections/elevations.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
KeesW wrote:
Will send more info, including examples, if people are interested.
I would love to see some example sections/elevations.
Same here.
davide
Newcomer
me too. thanks davide
iMac i7 late 2009
Archicad 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
I model 90% of the building, so when I have to make changes it is faster.
Plans have some lines for rooflines and stairs, as both roofs and stairs don't show correctly on plan. All fills are fills, because slabs with coverfills show their fills in Trace&Reference.
Elevations are generated from the model, I only draw a white fill /it's first in my favourites too! / for the terrain and a thick terrain line.
Sections are exploded, as AC still can't show correct wall/slab intersections. All fills are redrawn by hand.
Details are all 2D.
Anonymous
Not applicable
And a model screenshot:
Erika Epstein
Booster
kliment wrote:
I model 90% of the building, so when I have to make changes it is faster.
Great drawings Kliment! Thank you for sharing.
I agree with your modeling assessment. The rule of thumb many of us follow is to model everything to 1/4" scale which is the 90% you mention. You model once instead of drawing the same element over and over and over [and each time you draw it you risk making an error].
As Kliment said,elevations and other 3D views are drawing themselves when you model to the level he describes.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Stress Co_
Advisor
Rick wrote:
Basically, with a few additives:) This is an auto generated section, and the only things added are white fills for the plates and rim joist in section.. and some, but not all, insulation fill.
My (2 person firm) approach is to keep elevations live with a little bit of 2D line work.

For sections, I change the status to drawing, copy the model 100' to the side. Then change the status to manual rebuild-model. The "drawing" is edited in 2D and when changes occur, I "manually" update the model and then use a trace reference of the model, to update the "drawing".

Now that I have the free time I may work on my template/composites etc. to go more live with my sections.

Rick:
I like using the "DET_Lumber 12" object to delineate plates/rims, where you say, your using a fill.
Do I win anything for finding typos in your section?
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Learn and get certified!