BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

external txt file generating hotspots

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
I am working with a built-as registration of a huge and complex building.
I have a Leica Builder R200M Theodolite to generate surveyor points.

I can export from the Builder to a dxf file which then can be imported in my *.pln as an object.
My idea is to make a more floating process where the theodolite writes a text or ascii file which is linked to from a gdl object and then generating hotspots i 3D.

Some years ago in 6.5 I did something like this which actually was a spreadsheet saved as a textfile and then imported to a prism. I think I used the OPEN & INPUT command which seems no longer to have the same functionality in AC12 , or?

Any ideas

Nicolaj Hvid
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes,
you can use architerra for this - even the trial version lets you import a text file - tab delimited , csv and it puts hotspots on plan and gdl object with options on display style etc.

we have a totalstation which gives me the data which i adjust in excell and save in tab delimited.

i added to the gdl object to give a 3d display of points - handy when wanting to view the points in sections.

hope this helps.
Mark
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Mark
I tried your solution before my post, but it seems that you are equipped with more luck than I am.
I can see the txt document contains all 4 rows but I'm only getting the xy on the floor plan.
The idea about getting an object with ID, x, y and z value marked as a kind of 3D hotspot is what I'm aiming at but how?
I'm working on a trial version ArchiTerra 3 on ArchiCAD 12

Nicolaj
Anonymous
Not applicable
when you import the text file with architerra you will get the xy points as hotspots only on the plan.

most of the other functions are disabled but you can show the spot heights where you can show on the plan the x y and height values.

once you do select the xy labels - they are actually generated by an object developed by architerra. if you open this object up you can click the show 3d parameter on.

this will show a pretty crude 3d marker - there are parameters that you can adjust this to suit but you can also open up the object and modify it to suit you.

Mark
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again
I do not see any xy labels. Neither do I see the heights in the Text file preview
So now I wonder:
Is there something wrong with my textfile or is there a limitation in Architerra.?
If I open the textfile in WORD it opens with all 4 columns.
Nicolaj
Anonymous
Not applicable
Btw which total station do you use and can it be recommended?
Anonymous
Not applicable
See attached files how i do it.
basically tho just tab delimited text files xyz code
Anonymous
Not applicable
Text file loaded through demo version of architerra

pic shows architerra toolbox with functions used and resulting 2d hotspots with markers showing height and code, in background.

we use a topcon gpt3007 i think is the model.
we have only done very simple surveys with it so far but works well - older model but robust
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are working for several years syrveying old buildings and monuments with a total station. We are using a total station and then through a series of imports and exports using autocad we finally reach the gdl object you will see in the attached drawings. The object is created when importing a dwg file where the points are reported as blocks, only in archicad 8.0 and then needs to be elaborated in the 3d and 2d script.
Unfortunately this cannot be done straightforward on archicad and my knowledge on GDL cannot go further, as my job is an architect and not a software developer. In fact, archicad lacks of critical functions in importing and exporting data for total stations. As an example, after having designed a nice house on archicad it needs to be traced on the terrain. There is not any function on archicad for exporting a txt of xls file with point names and their 3d coordinates. I have tried many different solutions with 3d objects but none of them is practical in terms of real-world construction. At the end, after 12 years of using archicad I tend to think that it is an excelent design tool but it lacks of professional tools for building the projects. ...and there comes autocad, which is a nightmare but it is for building. And at the end of the day this is our job!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a more detailed view of the previous drawing
Learn and get certified!