BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modifying Stair ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I'm building a ss
tair and having a little problem in modifying it on plan view.
In my attached filed, I have a little corner of a landing that I want it to be cut off. But I don't know how.
Please help.
Many thanks
31 REPLIES 31
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
You could try using an SEO for this. Draw a wall or slab which is wide enough to cut off the entire corner that you want on an invisible layer and use it to cut off the corner of the stair. Make the priority different than your stairwell walls.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Sooner or later you will need to make a section and some details for that stair. Then you will realize that it would have been faster just to model the stair in the first place. I don't think any of those stair tools are very useful.

Model the stair exactly as it will be constructed, keeping in mind what things you need to show up in your sections and details.
stair section.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
I don't think any of those stair tools are very useful.
How do you model stairs?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried a AC's built in stairs and archistair, finally I realized it really is just better to model it from the basics. I actually am faster at modelling them now than when I set all the various parameters in the stair tools. I model mine with the slab and roof tools. After you calculate your riser height & number Just to create your first tread (and riser finish to if you like). The use the multiply command with the elevation offest to your desired riser height and group your completed treads together. then just make a roof for the stringers, just change the slope in 3d to get the right angle, and SEO w/ upward extrusion your treads (&risers) and your done.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Steve wrote:
Model the stair exactly as it will be constructed, keeping in mind what things you need to show up in your sections and details.
Beautiful drawing Steve. Did you really model each piece of wood separately?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
I would need to find my origianl file to know how much of this I modeled.
I probably modeled every part. It's a very simple thing to do.

Go to the manufactures web site, dowload the drawings of the specific parts the stair will be constructed with and trun them into ArchiCAD parts.

Nothing to it. Very fast and fun to do. And you end up with a useful model that can generate useful details and sections.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Scott and Steve.
Erika wrote:
Steve wrote:
Beautiful drawing Steve. Did you really model each piece of wood separately?
I found the file. I did model the stair parts individually, but there are actually only 4 parts, and they were something I had in my library for another project. All I had to do was stretch them to the new width of the stair. The modeled step ( tread-riser-nosing) has been multiplied/distributed with vertical offset.

Looking at all the stuff in the drawing it appears that I used my section to model the stair, rather than rather than using the model to generate the section. The step units were probably placed in plan view and then dragged into place vertically in the section view. The dimensions have been tampered with using the over ride wich tells me that it was probably something pasted in from another project and time was not taken to make it perfect for this project. Probably a different sub floor thickness on the second floor required a slightly different rise. ?? Can't tell anymore.

Also, it looks as if I modeled the stair as if it had no landing and then split it and rotated the lower section a few different times to try out different get the landing arrangements.

It's very hard to tell anymore exactly how I did it and I do not remember.

I wish someone would pay me to model this stair and render it for them with my Maxwell or in V-ray.

This is the kind of thing I can do but I am stuck making silly permit drawings for questionable little remodels.

My talents are being wasted on the little projects I am able to scrape up around here for my self.

It has been 6 months since my last custom home project.

Shot at 2009-07-10

Learn and get certified!