Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Showing door without wall?

Arcadia
Booster
Is there any way I can show a door (in this case a roller door) in 3D and sections etc without showing the wall? Ie: I have modelled an industrial steel framed shed and have modelled all the steel purlins/girts/framing. I have put in walls and roof panels so I can use them to apply the wall cladding and roof cladding using Cadimage accessories. In 3d I can then turn the walls/roof layers off so I have an accurate looking 3D which shows all the external cladding and internal framing but now I just have holes in the walls not doors. Help!
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
You will need to add a wall in a layer that does not get turned off.
Make this wall the same size or smaller than the door you place in it.
That way the hole the door cuts will completely hide the wall.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks I never thought of that. I actually reduced the wall thickness down to 2mm so that I could leave its layer switched on but it doesn't interfere with the framing and that works okay but your idea is better.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
you could also give the wall .001 height

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Barry wrote:
You will need to add a wall in a layer that does not get turned off.
Make this wall the same size or smaller than the door you place in it.
That way the hole the door cuts will completely hide the wall.
Barry.
This is a similar method I use but in reverse, for Demo layouts where things being removed can be shown and then made to 'disappear' in the new design.

Mark

ArchiCAD 12 2675 USA Full + 11, 10, 9 & 7, Mac G5 Dual 2.3 Ghz, 1.5 Gb, OSX.4.11, HP T1100, Epson R1800

Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------
Mark Wallace Architect
Collegeville, PA
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
Anonymous
Not applicable
All good answers, here's mine:

This method uses a wall located far away from the door that is placed "in" it. Doors and windows can be placed "in" a wall that is far away from the door itself - either vertically, or horizontally. In first case your wall might be in a specially created subbasement, the door sill might be at 50 feet and therefore show up on story 3 or 4. In the other case, place a wall somewhere off your rendered view space, place your door in it and then slide door back into your desired position.

The net effect is that you will not have a hard to detect wall anywhere in your active workspace that might accidentally get swept up in some other operation. I use the subbasement routine myself, easier to keep track of the relationships when needed, especially with the trace function.

Mark