Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

walls not healing properly

Anonymous
Not applicable
if you look at the attached screendump, my single skin blockwork wall (on the right) is not cleaning up with the 3 x cavity walls on the left.

all walls are set to 0, 2100 height, and all are on wall priority 2.

the problem is that on section and elevation it is showing that corner as a solid line...

any idea's why it is doing this?

the reference line on all 3 cavity walls is on the outside, and the reference line of the single block wall is at the top side as you look at the screen.
12 REPLIES 12
Thomas Holm
Booster
percybigun wrote:
...the reference line on all 3 cavity walls is on the outside, and the reference line of the single block wall is at the top side as you look at the screen.
That is your problem.

(I assume 'outside' is to the left in your figure.)

To make this work properly, you need to:

1) change the reference line of the cavity walls to
a) inside, or
b) at least to a position no longer from the inside than the thickness of the single block wall. Use the 'Modify Wall' menu command.

2) If you use option b) above, you also need to move the reference line of the single block wall accordingly.

And finally:
3) have the same surface material on the visible (in the elevation) surfaces of the wall.

Beware that the above may of course cause other issues.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Make sure the core componenets have the same priority...but - on such connections as Yours - the non_composite wall must be on higher priority by 1 than the same component in the composite wall (on the "T" connections such thing can cause problems so use it only in the cases as You described)

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for that, i've tried option B and its nearly worked (moving the reference line to outer core) but its made the walls not clean up properly in another way, and as you can see from a wall nearer the top of this diagram, it has made all other walls go right to the "Outsides" of the main cavity walls?
dump2.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Piotr wrote:
Make sure the core componenets have the same priority...but - on such connections as Yours - the non_composite wall must be on higher priority by 1 than the same component in the composite wall (on the "T" connections such thing can cause problems so use it only in the cases as You described)

Best Regards,
Piotr
oK i've tried that instead of moving the reference lines and it has worked much better (i changed the wall priority of the non-composite walls to 4, and the composite walls are set to 2), but i still have the problem with T-connections in other places on the plans. the T-connection non-composite walls have their priority set to 2.

i will try some other settings and see if i can sort it.
As I wrote...the higher priority will work only with such connections as You described. In "T" connections the priority must be lowered to the same level as in the structures core.

Remember set the proper priorities in the composite structure - and more important - set the wall to use the composites priorities!

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
i dont think either method is going to be any good here, the joint in the wall still shows on section/elevation and it has caused all sorts of other probs in the model.

it was somebody else who started this model and set up all the wall styles, composites etc and whilst i have a thorough knowledge of using archicad, i have never set up a template.

the one i normally use makes walls clean up perfect on plan and elev, i dont know what is the core or what these priorities mean etc lol

think i'll put it back as it was an blank off the unwanted lines in the sections using white fills.

thanks to those who answered but i fear this model is in a bit of a mess. also the crappy aircon in this office means i cant fully concentrate on this cock-up while my whole body and head is being fried grrrr
Thomas Holm
Booster
percybigun wrote:
thanks to those who answered but i fear this model is in a bit of a mess. also the crappy aircon in this office means i cant fully concentrate on this <b>[censored]</b>-up while my whole body and head is being fried grrrr
I can feel your pain.
I think Piotr has more experience than I on this issue, you should listen to him. Also, there are several threads on this and on the joint showing. Do a search in the forum. I recommend Vistsp's search page http://archicadstuff.blogspot.com/2008/12/archicad-searches.html
Anonymous
Not applicable
i've changed all settings back to how they were originally but its left all the T-junctions from the single block walls to the cavity walls all wrong? apart from 2 (which have EXACTLY the same settings as the others which wont clean up properly)

i dont want to delete the walls which are wrong because i will lose all my door numbers and dimensions

i've tried match properties with no luck

its archicad V11 incidentally
Thomas Holm
Booster
Turn on Reference line display, select the walls that won't clean up, use the Trim command and aim at the composite's ref line.