Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL Script error converted SKP object "Too Many Parameters"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I am attempting to convert some Sketchup SKP components to GSM library parts - conversions seem to be working graphically but when inserted various errors pop up. When loading the object in a default environment and checking it with the Edit GDL Library Parts toolbar script checkers I get a 'too many parameters' error in both the 2d and 3d scripts at the location of the call to the GDL part. Here is the text that gets highlighted (needless to say this was generated automatically by ArchiCAD so I am somewhat frustrated that it can't write code tolerable to it's own standards;-):

call "entrygateassembled_GDL",
PARAMETERS A = 5'-8.0000", B = 3'-4.9174", ZZYZX = 8'-0.0000",
AC_show2DHotspotsIn3D = 1, ac_bottomlevel = 3'-3.3701",
ac_toplevel = 0'-0.0000", ALFA_X = 1, ALFA_Y = 0,
ALFA_Z = 0, BETA_X = 0, BETA_Y = 1,
BETA_Z = 0, GAMMA_X = 0, GAMMA_Y = 0,
GAMMA_Z = 1, DELTA_X = -0, DELTA_Y = 2.255973186038E-017,
DELTA_Z = 0, SCALE_X = 1, SCALE_Y = 1,
SCALE_Z = 1, A_PARAMETER = 1.7272, B_PARAMETER = 1.039302762882,
ZZYZX_PARAMETER = 2.4384, Z_ROTATION_PARAMETER = 0,
Material_0 = ind(material,"SKP_default_12566463"), Material_1 = ind(material,"SKP_[Metal_Corrogated_Shiny]1"),
Material_2 = ind(material,"SKP_[Metal_Rough]"), Material_3 = ind(material,"SKP_[Color_E05]"),
Material_4 = ind(material,"SKP_Color_H09"), Material_5 = ind(material,"SKP_Color_008"),
Material_6 = ind(material,"SKP_Color_009"), Material_7 = ind(material,"SKP_*1"),
Material_8 = ind(material,"SKP_Color_002"), Material_9 = ind(material,"SKP_Black")
del 1

Anybody? I looked up other discussions on this and the closest one was a thread from 2003 which ended with 'send us your code' (way to close the loop and help out future generations guys).
Thanks in advance,
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Yes that add-on does work very well, hence it's in the goodies.
Often if it a complex shape you will get all sorts of errors.

Is there a link to the model you are trying to convert?
Anonymous
Not applicable
See attached GSM file.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm - that didn't work - GSM is not allowed? - SKP is not allowed? How are you supposed to send a problem file?
Anonymous
Not applicable
i have no idea 😉

if you like email it to me at scott@barringtonarch.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just sent you the GSM - only 6kb. The PLN file is over 1mb. Is that what the 'call' function is for?
Sorry, still brushing up on the latest GDL syntax.
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes the objects 3D script is calling another object (which i don't have).
Might be easier if you send me the sketchup file.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I have emailed you the SKP and PLN files.
Out of curiosity since Sketchup imports and exports dwg/dxf as does ArchiCAD, I exported from Sketchup to DWG and DXF and brought both of those in to ArchiCAD through FILE/LIBRARIES AND OBJECTS/IMPORT FILES FROM DXF/DWG - the resultant GSM file has a lot more triangulated faces and the script looks entirely different (no 'call' for instance) and no script errors. So it seems to be something in the SKP translation. Too bad, those are very clean objects.
At least I have a work-around. Let me know if you figure out what is going on with the SKP conversion as I would prefer to use those.
Thanks,
Barry Kelly
jerome_s wrote:

call "entrygateassembled_GDL",
PARAMETERS A = 5'-8.0000", B = 3'-4.9174", ZZYZX = 8'-0.0000",
AC_show2DHotspotsIn3D = 1, ac_bottomlevel = 3'-3.3701",
ac_toplevel = 0'-0.0000", ALFA_X = 1, ALFA_Y = 0,
ALFA_Z = 0, BETA_X = 0, BETA_Y = 1,
BETA_Z = 0, GAMMA_X = 0, GAMMA_Y = 0,
GAMMA_Z = 1, DELTA_X = -0, DELTA_Y = 2.255973186038E-017,
DELTA_Z = 0, SCALE_X = 1, SCALE_Y = 1,
SCALE_Z = 1, A_PARAMETER = 1.7272, B_PARAMETER = 1.039302762882,
ZZYZX_PARAMETER = 2.4384, Z_ROTATION_PARAMETER = 0,
Material_0 = ind(material,"SKP_default_12566463"), Material_1 = ind(material,"SKP_[Metal_Corrogated_Shiny]1"),
Material_2 = ind(material,"SKP_[Metal_Rough]"), Material_3 = ind(material,"SKP_[Color_E05]"),
Material_4 = ind(material,"SKP_Color_H09"), Material_5 = ind(material,"SKP_Color_008"),
Material_6 = ind(material,"SKP_Color_009"), Material_7 = ind(material,"SKP_*1"),
Material_8 = ind(material,"SKP_Color_002"), Material_9 = ind(material,"SKP_Black")
del 1
I have never converted anything from sketchup but what the error is saying is there are too many parameters in the CALL function (highlighted red) as compared to the actual parameters in the object being called.
At least I would assume that is what it means.

Open the called "entrygateassembled_GDL" object and check the list of parameters with those in the CALL function.
Delete any extra parameters from the CALL function and that should fix the problem.

The best way is to post the objects here if you don't mind sharing them.
You can't attach an object directly but you can ZIP it and attach the zip file.
You will need both the main object and any called objects as well (zip them all in the one file).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok,
I first tested the water by deleting just ONE parameter - no script error. THen I varied which one - no script error - it seems to be a total number of parameters which is the issue. So I selected one which would have the minimum impact (the ROTATION Z parameter) and saved and re-inserted the GSM OBJECT. All was OK - AND the textures were preserved unlike the DXF/DWG conversion. Yay!
Thanks for the help.
Now, does anyone know WHY there is a limit on parameters for the CALL function and WHY the automated script for SKP to PLN conversion would not know about it?
Curious...
Thanks all!