BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Getting a Z Value from a node point

Anonymous
Not applicable
is there anyway i cant get a Z value or Real Level Value from a node point say from a roof plane...

i wanna be able to click on different points on my roofs and be able to give the surveyor actual RL heights.

auto cad does it. surly archicad can??????
15 REPLIES 15
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
David wrote:
, you can add a hotspot at the point you want the height and command-click (Mac) the hotspot with the Roof Tool selected (as Barry described) to get the Roof Elevations dialog box.
David
Along the edges of the roof this is quite true.
I was thinking more in the centre of the roof plane hence the need for the hole.
The hotspot will work anywhere, inside or outside the roof area, not only at the edge. The advantage of a hotspot rather than just command-clicking is that you can accurately place the hotspot, while without it you cannot be sure exactly where in plan you are getting the height.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Rod Jurich
Contributor
David wrote:
/.......... The hotspot will work anywhere,
inside or outside the roof area, not only at the edge./.......
Cheers David, a great tip. How did you come by this little gem?
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Barry Kelly
David wrote:
The hotspot will work anywhere, inside or outside the roof area, not only at the edge.
Ahh - hotspot in as with the hotspot tool
I just assumed you meant a node and was wondering how you could place a single node inside the roof plane - which is why I suggested cutting a temporary hole.

But hotspots work like a charm - thanks for the tip.
Interesting how a hotspot will work but clicking on the edge or node of another element doesn't.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rod wrote:
Cheers David, a great tip. How did you come by this little gem?
I'm pretty sure its been there since version 4.0, when there were not so many features to learn.
Barry wrote:
Interesting how a hotspot will work but clicking on the edge or node of another element doesn't.
That's because command-clicking on some elements' nodes (like a wall) will cut the wall (Trim to Roof), I think a carry over from the earlier versions.

Glad to have passed along a small tip.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great tip, David, thank you!
Karl Ottenstein
Erika wrote:
You don't need a to add a hotspot, just ctrl/cmd+click at the point you want with the roof selected.
Brilliant. Thanks, Erika. If I ever knew this, I sure don't remember it!

For many reasons that come to mind, this is all that is needed, since a Trace Reference will likely have elements with hotspots at the points that are of interest.

(I wish the dialog that appears upon ctrl/cmd-click was more user friendly - it does not make it clear at all that it is displaying a point elevation.)

Thanks!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!