BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Changing element IFC-class

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've modelled some complex walls using the roof tool. Now I'd need them to show up as walls when exported to IFC.
Is there a way to change element's IFC class? I know how to bring up element's ifc 2x3 -properties and there's this setting "Preset type" which is ROOF by default. There's FLOOR, LANDING, BASESLAB, USERDEFINED and NOTDEFINED, and I've managed to change the class to a slab, but not to wall.

Help would be highly appriciated.
1 REPLY 1
GKiss
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
The ArchiCAD Roof and slab are exported as IFCSLAB with “PredefinedType” attribute, which is “FLOOR” in case of ArchiCAD slab, and “ROOF” in case of ArchiCAD roof by default. The user can change this attribute for other IfcSlabTypeEnum. If user set it to USERDEFINED, then ObjectType attribute must be set with any text. You can type her “wall”, but it will not be interpreted as WALL element in other applications, as far as I know, because the ENTITY name will be IFCSLAB (not IFCWALL).
In case of ArchiCAD building element (wall, beam, column, slab, roof, zone, door, window, CW ..) there is no way to redefine the exported IFC entity to other IFC entity. If you use ArchiCAD object then you can redefine the exported IFC ENTITY by selecting other library subtype of the GDL library part.
Learn and get certified!