BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Advanced modeling help?

Sloan Springer
Newcomer
As I further my experience and knowledge in ArchiCAD, Ive come to a point where I am seeing things modeled in AC that I have no clue how to efficiently model...here are 2 examples from Michel Rojkind and Dave Chisholm. I expect that GDL is the way to go (the latter even says so about his project), but I have no idea how to do something like this in GDL (much less anything at all!)

Any ideas on how to approach this and what to do, as this is the kind of work I would like to do with ArchiCAD..

Thanks so much!

5-3.jpg
--
Sloan Springer, AIA
www.springer.archi

ArchiCAD 24 Solo\\ 2017 MacBook Pro 13" \ 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 \ 16 GB RAM \ macOS Catalina 10.15.7
28 REPLIES 28
also rember that you can make a part, use a temporary SEO object to sculpt it, make the SEO object invisible and then save the sculpted part as a new object.

You can build any part you need this way. No GDL scripting at all.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Sloan Springer
Newcomer
I love it! And here I was under the impression I had to learn scripting to expand my skills in AC...
If I can figure out a way to rotate meshes to vertical then im really gunna go to town...
--
Sloan Springer, AIA
www.springer.archi

ArchiCAD 24 Solo\\ 2017 MacBook Pro 13" \ 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 \ 16 GB RAM \ macOS Catalina 10.15.7
now check out the automatic gdl scripting that was generated from one of your parts. GDL scripting is for computer programers. But having a little knowledge about it very useful too.

A few more modeling tips and you will see that there is no such thing as Advanced Modeling. It's all very simple.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Sloan Springer
Newcomer
What do you think would be the best way to model the first image? Is there any less time consuming way that just making tons of different columns?
--
Sloan Springer, AIA
www.springer.archi

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sloan wrote:
What do you think would be the best way to model the first image? Is there any less time consuming way that just making tons of different columns?
I think it has 4 straight sides (Planes), you can model it with walls and then save it as a rotated GDL object.
TMA_80
Enthusiast
while "possible".... when it comes to this freeform "parametric" shapes, archicad is not the best bet for flexible "conceptual" modeling...

have a look here:
http://designreform.net/2008/04/12/hexagons-with-classic-mesh-smooth/
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Sloan wrote:
Steve wrote:
this one is kind of cool too.
BIG, on of my favorite firms...

On this one, I think I can now figure out how to make the side walls, but how about the roof with the holes that are perpendicular to the curve?
You can make holes perpendicular to the curved roof.

start by using a rotated view of the roof. what you want to see in a plan view is the edge of the roof as it would look in elevation.

Now it's easy to locate a tube or what every you want to use as the SEO "Operators" .

The first one in a pattern can be placed perpendicular to the curve of the roof. You will get the indicator when the object is tangent or perpendicular to the curve. The rest of them can be rotated around the curve using the Multiply/Rotate too. Change the diameter and elevation of the tube as needed for the other holes.

You will need to do some checking in sections and 3d views to make sure all of your SEO operators are in the right place.

When they are, draw a temporary slab next to your roof an SEO operators. View in 3d, using the Look to Perpendicular tool,
click on the surface of the temp slab that gives you a true top view.

Execute the SEO, turn off the SEO layer, save you roof as a new library part. Very simple. Same old trick you can use to make what ever you need.

You could make that roof as a wall and use round windows.
Then save a rotated view of it as a library part.
Possibly even use round skylights and a roof.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sloan wrote:
Steve wrote:
this one is kind of cool too.
On this one, I think I can now figure out how to make the side walls, but how about the roof with the holes that are perpendicular to the curve?
Use complex profiles for modeling as a wall, make a simple wallhole window that will punch a hole perpendicularly.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Sloan wrote:
how about the roof with the holes that are perpendicular to the curve?
Is there any less time consuming way that just making tons of different columns?
You mentioned OBJECTiVE in an earlier post - I think it will help you a lot modelling this. I've attached a few example images to illustrate, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.
  • 1) You can draw your roof in plan (complete with openings), create a profiled object with it, and bend it to the curve of the roof.
    2) The object displays correctly in plan, even if rotated and cut in 3D
    3) In section, you can see the holes remain perpendicular to the curve
    4) You can also do lots of bendy, twisty things to columns (custom or regular profiles), and these can also be freely cut and rotated in 3D.
More info here. Just ask if you need more guidance.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Sloan Springer
Newcomer
I cant seem to figure out how to make OBJECTIVE work...I made an object by cutting holes in a slab, viewing it from the right in parallel projection, then saved it as a gsm object. But, OBJECTIVE says it wont work with objects that dont have a constant cross section. Is there a different way I have to go about it?

Im trying to do something along the lines of what you posted in the last image, with a sort of thickened net where i can move around each node...
--
Sloan Springer, AIA
www.springer.archi

Learn and get certified!