Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

A nice example of how to work with materials - Revit 2009-10

Eduardo Rolon
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
In archicad you can do this with profiled walls . Select wall then click capture profile of selection then select edit selection profile . Split wall in profile editor in one or multiple zones and aply different materials with pet menu command set parameter for profile edge changing only one edge of wall .Further you can reopen the wall profile and change the material or height of materials ( using marque rectangle ) with ease and aply to selected wall only . Is up to you to save or not this profile or put it to favorites library . Personal favorites is a real library of such settings and can be a big increase of archicad productivity.
I reopen my old projects and save the settings y like and save them as favorites in a special folder in archicad . When i need i import in favorites for example the stone and wood siding walls
THIS TECHNIQUE IS SUPERIOR TO REVIT BECAUSE YOU CAN CHANGE EVEN THE GEOMETRY OF WALL IF YOU WANT AND PUT THE NEW MATERIAL THICKNESS IN DIFFERENT COLOR AND FILL IN SECTION
NOT TO MENTION THE WALL ADDONS OR WALL ACCESORIES .
Anonymous
Not applicable
This feature has been in Revit since i Remember learning it. It is a great way to do interior elevations with out having to draft everything in a 2d view like in archicad. ArchiCAD loyalist are to stubborn to see how well that works to create interior elevation, or to do schematic design. It is also nice not to have to make an over complicated wall type just to show a different base option could look. Also, it dosn't mess up how the wall will look in plan, and as far as sections go, it has been my experience with ALL BIM software that i have used that the model is a very rough base for a drafter to use to add 2d elements to draft the section correctly. So to me it makes a lot of sense for Architects, (who are not always cpu experts that can create complicated wall profiles and save them in multiple folders to be used again in the future) to be able to quickly and, most importantly, easily change the model to correctly display their design intent. That's just my 2 cents though, i'm sure there is some fancy way or some add on to buy that will make archicad do the same thing, but Revit dose it out of the box, so don't be sour that the competitors product listens to their clients and makes the program work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hence wrote:
(...) and as far as sections go, it has been my experience with ALL BIM software that i have used that the model is a very rough base for a drafter to use to add 2d elements to draft the section correctly.
I was going to ask what kind of experience you had to make such a statement, but then I read your signature and had an AHA moment.
😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
this is a cool feature for design development, great for quick design changes... though I would usually have already figured that out with a quick sketch paper drawing. Yeah, I still use a pencil or pen from time to time.

What I really want is a relationship between basic modeling elements...so I can link my finish surfaces to my structural elements..... I need to make this a wish (or vote for an existing one)
besides, it is pretty rare when tile, thin-brick, or stone is flush with the gyp. bd.