BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Selecting which side to intersect/fillet/trim

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm learning Archicad going slowly through the essentials training guide, and one thing I've noticed as regards the a couple of commands is that unlike Autocad, where if (say) you have 2 lines crossing each other at right angles and you want to only end up with 2 meeting with a radius, you could use the fillet command and select which sides you want to remain to get the result.

In Archicad though, if I have 2 lines crossing at right angles, it seems to assign priority to leaving behind the longer leg of the line, with no way short of trimming down the longer sides first if you wanted the shorter sides to remain?

I've seen likewise that the intersect command which allows 2 lines crossing to be trimmed back to where they cross, but how also can you select which sides are to remain? It seems to assign the same priority for the sides that are longer.

Is there a way of assigning priority to be other than this default?

Maybe it's just the way the software works, Autocad you have to start the command, the pick the lines and it chooses which side to keep on the basis of having selected that side, Archicad does things the other way around?
4 REPLIES 4
Erich
Contributor
ArchiCAD does not work like Autocad, you need to forget some of the Autocad methods for better or worse. You have figured out the methodology however, the longer portion of the line, wall, etc. is the portion that remains. If you want the shorter side to remain, you will need to trim off the offending side rather than intersect.

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich wrote:
ArchiCAD does not work like Autocad, you need to forget some of the Autocad methods for better or worse. You have figured out the methodology however, the longer portion of the line, wall, etc. is the portion that remains. If you want the shorter side to remain, you will need to trim off the offending side rather than intersect.

HTH

Thanks. I readily accept that Archicad isn't Autocad (or Autocad Architecture) and don't expect that it will do things the same way anymore than I expect Sketchup does, I was using the Autocad approach as a shorthand and for comparitive reasons.

Difficulty with learning software is that to quote Rummie, there are "known knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns": I might know how to do something one way, but not another more efficient way; just because something isn't in the help doesn't mean that it can't be done , I just might not have entered the correct search term to find it; then again, because something is not in the help might actually mean that there is no other way to do it?

And then as I found with learning Autocad, there may be a way to do something that you never even thought of: I only found out about the Fillet>radius command 6 months into using it and until then had been offsetting lines, drawing circles and trimming: tedious!

Unless you've gained enough experience with a particular package and therefore know what to expect (or not), thinking about how another similar package does it is probably not going to be too far off the mark, if nothing else it provides a grammar and vocabulary within which a meaningful discussion can take place...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I definitely prefer the Archicad's way - it is faster a and needs less clicks! You have to think before you execute the command but I prefer thinking than clicking!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I may be showing my age but I remember when Autocad used to fillet lines in the same way - i.e. leave the longest portion of line, rather than the section selected. Ah, the good old days (not).

Chuck, there are always workarounds and many different ways of achieving the same outcome in Archicad. If your lines cross just hold down CTRL (or CMND on MAC) and use the Scissors cursor to trim the lines first, eliminating the longer length, then select and fillet with radius. The difference with Archicad is you select the lines first and then perform the command, whereas with Autocad you start the command then select which lines to perform it on.
Learn and get certified!