Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New User: How to create a Hip roof using 'Design Extras'

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, When using the normal roof tool it is easy to create a hip roof using ..Geometry Method: Hip roof.. However if im using the 'Roof Accessories' option under 'Design Extras' I dont get that choice, I can only create gable roofs because it ask for 1st node etc... How do I create a hip roof when using this method? Archicad 12, NZL, Cadimage tools installed.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
If you are using the ArchiCAD roof accessories (not sure if the Cadimage ones are based on the same technology), you do NOT create the roof with the accessory.

Rather you select the roofs that you want enhanced, and THEN select the roof accessory which is applied as a skin onto the geometry of the selected roof planes.

So, create your hip with the Roof Tool first (very easy with hip geometry and magic wand - then fine tune as necessary).

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was starting to think as much, the next problem is that after I 'Ok' my options in accessories and return to my drawing screen, it ask for my 'first node of wall' and then up direction? As if I was to be creating a gable roof from scratch. I thought it would ask me 'Pick roof to add accessories to'?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Johnny

Create your basic roof planes with the Roof Tool (using hip, gables whatever). SELECT these roof planes THEN go to Design> Design Extras> Accessories> Roof Accessories and apply your roof accessory to the selected roofs.

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh so simple, thanks for your help guys