BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Walls-plan no fills vs. section w/ fills

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to have my composite walls show their fills in Sections while in Plan views setting Display Options to override fills and show empty fills in the Walls. I've got that working.

However, on my Plan I want to show existing walls with an empty (white) fill and new walls with a 75% fill (darker). That requires not overriding the fills in Plan...and not using composite fills. Which then takes away the composite fill look in the Sections.

Any ideas or workarounds for showing the composite lines in Sections and varying fills for different wall types in Plan?

Thank you for any help,
Doug
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
You can work around that by using specific pen assignments for the fills and using a particular pen table that turns some of those pens white for that view. If you are new to pen tables, you can have as many as you want, and they are memorized/associated with a view.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the tip.

I've started by making a composite wall with each layer having the same 50% fill so I get the shaded walls in plan view I want. Now the separator lines show up on the Plan but not in Section—even though I didn't override fills in Model View Options for either view.

Is this how the program always works or is something weird going on in my file?

Thanks again for any clues,
Doug
Anonymous
Not applicable
Doug,

I agree with Karl on the pen sets.

You will also need to save Views! Views have settings assigned to them. Some of these settings are layer combination, scale, structure display, pen set, model view option, dimensions, zooming, floor plan cut plan....

In your example you can save different model view options to the section views and floor plan views. This way the sections would have one model view option that shows the wall's cut fill or composite. The floor plans could then have another model view option that shows the wall as a solid fill.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I figured a way to do it without using pen sets (which I have not used so far).

I made copies of the three wall composite types and added 50% fill to each "skin". This maintained the skins for the section drawing.

Then I made a copy of "50% fill" and alternated it with the standard 50% fill in my composite (wall) type. Then when I used Model View in my section to override fills and just show skin separator lines the lines showed up. I had to have different fills next to each other in the composite or the lines disappear.

Thank you for the replies. Someday (when forced!) I'll tackle learning about using different pen sets.
Learn and get certified!