Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Installing ArchiCAD on a PowerPC Mac with OSX Leopard 10.5.6

Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
We have found that the 10.5.6 system update on the Mac PPC platform causes that the ArchiCAD installer (both ArchiCAD 11 and 12, presumably older versions too) hangs when it gets to the point of installing WIBU components. The workaround is installing the WIBU components first (there's an option to install WIBU separately in the ArchiCAD installer). Intel Macs are not affected.

This, and other possible install problems are described in the Archicadwiki article:
http://archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD%2012%20Install%20Problems
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have this similar issue with OS 10.5.7 installed. The installer gives me a message of "Cannot install on this platform". What do I need to do to get the software installed?
I have installed with no problem on my Intel machine.
The install is on a G5 power PC. All other requirements seem to be OK... RAM, hard drive space etc.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
gkmethy wrote:
We have found that the 10.5.6 system update on the Mac PPC platform causes that the ArchiCAD installer (both ArchiCAD 11 and 12, presumably older versions too) hangs when it gets to the point of installing WIBU components. The workaround is installing the WIBU components first (there's an option to install WIBU separately in the ArchiCAD installer). Intel Macs are not affected.

This, and other possible install problems are described in the Archicadwiki article:
http://archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD%2012%20Install%20Problems
Hello, I bought a brand new apple macbookpro yesterday and the first thing I tried to do was to install archicad student version 12.

please correct me if i am wrong, but the version i downloaded was for power pc...purely because i only want to use the mac operating system, not the intel side of mac with bootcamp.

When it was time to install, after several hours downloading the program, the installer kept quitting. I tried the wibu key installation first to no avail.

The operating system is 'snow leopard'.

Please respond urgently...I'm really freaking out. Just blown a lot of money on this new computer and have a huge workload reliant on archicad access for university over the coming weeks.

What am I doing wrong?
Is there a driver I am missing for snow leopard?

Help!

Pareicia
Eduardo Rolon
You will have to re-download AC again and choose Intel. PPC refers to the processors that Apple stopped using about 3 years ago when they switched to Intel, it has nothing to do with Windows.

To recap, both Mac OS X and Windows run in Intel Chips.

Apple has an emulator that will run obsolete PPC Applications in Intel chips but in Snow Leopard it is an optional install. If you saw a Pop-Up asking to Install Rosetta that is the emulator.You could try to install it an see if AC12 will run in emulation but it is recommended and will cause less headaches that if you download the correct version for your system which is Mac OS - Intel.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

owen
Newcomer
ejrolon wrote:
You could try to .. run in emulation but it is recommended and will cause less headaches that if you download the correct version for your system which is Mac OS - Intel.
Stongly recommended - unless you are the type of person who would wear a 20kg backpack in a sprint just for the fun of it. Performance of ArchiCAD running under Rosetta would be pretty abysmal i imagine.

If you have any Mac produced in the last 3 years there is no reason to run the PPC version of an app if there is an Intel version for it. Sometimes they are combined into a single application called a Univeral Binary, so the OS can choose the code it needs to run.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Eduardo Rolon
OOPS,

it is NOT recommended to run AC12 in Rosetta.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator