Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Interesting Article about Archicad 13 and Teamwork 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Provides some insight on what might be coming up next.

Next-Gen BIM:
Graphisoft Teamwork 2.0 will revolutionize
BIM/IPD workflow and collaboration
http://www.laiserin.com/features/issue25/feature01.pdf
www.laiserin.com/
25 REPLIES 25
Chazz
Enthusiast
I don't understand this. It's an industry newsletter (one I've never heard of) that reads like an ad or endorsement rather than an objective evaluation.

Also, as has been pointed out elsewhere why would GS let an obscure newsletter be the mechanism of their announcement? And does this free the beta testers from there NDA's?
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Karl Ottenstein
Chazz wrote:
why would GS let an obscure newsletter be the mechanism of their announcement? And does this free the beta testers from there NDA's?
The LaiserinLetter is not that obscure. Fairly well-known in certain circles. But, yeah, obscure to most I imagine.

Nothing frees beta testers from their NDA until Graphisoft themselves do so as part of an official product announcement. Graphisoft may release any information they want prior to that time, but that does not free the beta testers to talk about anything.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
I have to say, it's beginning to seem like GS have once again missed the boat with regards to dissonance between AC13 and their clients' core needs and expectations of the program.

I may be (and truly hope I am) wrong, but from all the buzz and articles it would seem that AC13 is going to be all about Teamwork (or TW 2.0, as they put it) in much the same way AC12 was largely about the new CW tool and it's system-based interface. Which is all well, and good except for the fact and indication that GS seem to be catering to their big-ticket clients (read: Larger firms) rather than to the meat-and-potatoes issues of their bulk of their clientbase, which are small to mid-sized firms. Issues like a working Stair Tool (for once) that produces parametric stairs which are easy to create, document and modify and don't constrain one to a ludicrous fixed template of outdated stair-types, SEO issues, and the huge raft of other issues that require multiple work-arounds just to feign a pseudo-parametric process.

In ArchiCAD 12 the Curtain Wall tool was a great addition, but was it really that high up on the user wish lists. I mean outside of firms that focus on Commercial, healthcare and large-scale projects, it just isn't a useful (or even complete, or well-implemented) tool for architects and designers whose day-to-day projects range from residential to small-size civic projects. I'm not even including the multi-core support that was added to AC12 because that was well over-due (as is 64-Bit support), nor am I including 3D-documentation (because it's based on AC's outdated and clunky internal 3D engine, rather than an improved and more responsive OpenGL or DirectX platform) as legitimate major improvements to AC12.

And now we seem to be approaching AC13 where once again, the major upgrade seems to be in an area, that while beneficial to some, will not really be significant to a whole host of others who have got accustomed to working around Teamwork 1.0's perceived shortcomings or flaws (it's still far superior to Revit's team-based approach, so once again, was this really an area that direly needed urgent improvement?).
Meanwhile the nuts-and-bolts issues of the program (GDL alternative to parametric object creation, Improved versatile window/door library, Terrain/Massing/Site tool(s) 64-bit capability, etc etc etc) remain unaddressed. Perhaps they will prove me wrong and render this rant moot. But given their recent history, inability (or is it reluctance) to communicate with their own clients on their own moderated Talkforum, and their apparent objectives ( large-sized potential or future clients with null-BIM experience) I highly doubt it.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Bricklyne,
That article itself is only about TW2 as a BIM model-based collaboration solution and not ArchiCAD 13 as a whole.
So let us not make any early assumptions as to the whole of the release when only partial information is available about it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Christiaan
Participant
Sounds fucking great anyway. I wish Nemetschek NA were working on something like this for Vectorworks. It might just be the final straw that breaks the back in our (Vectorworks-based) office.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Bricklyne,
If you read Jerry Laiserin's article he repeatedly stresses the benefits to firms of ALL sizes.
As to the other features and improvements in AC13,as Laszlo notes, we don't know yet. That part of 13 hasn't been released.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Chazz
Enthusiast
laszlonagy wrote:
So let us not make any early assumptions as to the whole of the release when only partial information is available about it.
Erika wrote:
Bricklyne,....we don't know yet. That part of 13 hasn't been released.
Bricklyne wrote:
I may be (and truly hope I am) wrong,....
Seems to me that the sig-less canadian pretty will indemnified himself at the top of his second paragraph.

Look, if this is the way GS chooses to launch the product, I think they have to expect users to speculate about the features that were not announced (if that's what you call this). Speculation is part of the game. If they don't want people to second guess then stand up, anouce the feature set and end the speculation before it can begin.

Also, I think it is pretty fair to say that this is a big feature development-wise (though of apparently little utility in my practice) and if past releases are any guide, it will repesent the bulk of the upgrade effort.

As our Canadian friend says, I may be (and truly hope I am) wrong... but.....
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Christiaan wrote:
Sounds <b>[censored]</b> great anyway. I wish Nemetschek NA were working on something like this for Vectorworks. It might just be the final straw that breaks the back in our (Vectorworks-based) office.
Our Vectorworks back is already broken but we are still in the middle of a transition. I've ranted elsewhere about this but I hope we see better integration with VW to ease the transition. At the moment it is vectorwors > dwg > archicad!??
Christiaan
Participant
tropicalismo360 wrote:
Our Vectorworks back is already broken but we are still in the middle of a transition. I've ranted elsewhere about this but I hope we see better integration with VW to ease the transition. At the moment it is vectorwors > dwg > archicad!??
Really, your transitioning from Vectorworks to ArchiCAD? I'd love to pick your brains on this. I'm hoping GS has tidied up the Mac interface with the release of v13 as I want to bring somebody in to demonstrate ArchiCAD to my directors but at least one of them has a long experience with Vectorworks on Mac (which complies well with Mac interface conventions, and Windows conventions on Windows for that matter) and I know his first impression is not going to be good.