BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Schedules, door ID and repetitive modules

How are people handling door IDs in projects with non-residential repetitive modules (labs, hotels, hospitals, office buildings, schools)?
1) My usual way of doing that was to use hotlinked modules for the repetitive stuff and get the door tag to identify the door type, which works OK. But I am now discovering that
2) many US practices use the tag to identify the door *unit*, so that each individual door in the building gets a unique ID, which I think there is no way of doing with repetitive hotlinked modules.
Given the choice of modeling everything 20 or 200 times each time a change is made to the repetitive design or putting the door tag ID manually at the end of the process I guess I would go for the manually tacked-on door tag object --but that will not show in the door schedule. I am trying to understand the reason for the unique ID for each door, and I am thinking that maybe it is a practice coming from residential and that should be done away with in this type of buildings (where each door is less unique anyway), but since this is the first time I come across this method I am not sure if there is any hidden logic to it that I am not seeing.
3) Another option would be to break the hotlinks at the end of the process and manually give an ID to each door object, which would then show in the schedule. But since nobody can ever be right about when 'the end of the process' is, in practical terms this would end up working exactly the same as '2)'.
So what is everybody doing?
40 REPLIES 40
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
anaori16 wrote:
i know it is bound to work it just has to be something simple....for instance today I was wondering why the id for my doors wasn't updating on my schedule....it was because in order to change my door ID I was customizing the text in the marker settings instead of changing the actual ID number..it has to be some simple thing that I am overlooking..I'll keep trying
What you could try is start a new Project from scratch,create a Door schedule in it, see if those fields can be set in that file.
If the answer is yes, then check what the difference is between the two files' settings.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
yep...no problems with a new project...works just like I need it to. There has to be some settings that are different on my other project. I'll just have to dig around and find out. Thank you so much for your help.

Liz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have any idea which settings could need changing...it is as if the rows are locked
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have no idea.
But you could try to delete this Scheme and recreate in from scratch in your file. Let's see if that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your help yesterday. I have made a new schedule and its working great however I was wondering how to make the column height larger so I could insert two lines of text into one column. I know how to change the column width. Is it possible to put two lines of text into one column.

Thanks,
Liz
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In AC12, if you click any cell to select it so it is highlighted in light blue, there will be a "Wrap Text" checkbox on the vertical settings panel of the left. Use that to enable multi line texts in schedule cells.
Unfortunately, in earlier AC versions this was not possible.
Gus Laurie
Newcomer
If editable items in schedules appear locked, try to unlock layers??
Gus Laurie

AC 10-21 AUS FULL
INTEL Haswell i7 5960x 8 Core @ 3.00GHz
SanDisk 480 GB SSD
Dual AMD FirePro W5100 4 GB GPU
16 GB RAM
WIn 10 Pro 64 bit
Gus Laurie
Newcomer
Ignacio wrote:
I found the solution, way simpler and more obvious than I ever imagined (I was positively sure that this one wouldn't work, but fortunately I didn't trust myself, tried it and it does work):
- make modules with all the walls etc. and assign each door a User ID in the module (like 1, 2, 3, for the first, second, third door in a room);
- get the door tag to show 'Room and Door ID' (this is an option in the new Special Edition US Library, as is, without any scripting);
- bring in the modules and multiply etc. the modules in the building file, and then create the zones in the building file (this was always a given, in order to get unique room names and numbers using the Zone Name and Zone No.).

I can not seem to get the "D Marker 12" to offer a room or zone ID? Am I missing something in the settings (or incorrect door marker object); or should I be looking elsewhere?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Gus Laurie

AC 10-21 AUS FULL
INTEL Haswell i7 5960x 8 Core @ 3.00GHz
SanDisk 480 GB SSD
Dual AMD FirePro W5100 4 GB GPU
16 GB RAM
WIn 10 Pro 64 bit
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ignacio wrote:
"new Special Edition US Library"
What's this about?
Is it not the latest 12 library?
Karl Ottenstein
lec1212 wrote:
Ignacio wrote:
"new Special Edition US Library"
What's this about?
Is it not the latest 12 library?
🙂

That message was from October 2005 and dealt with ArchiCAD 9.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!