BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Interesting Article about Archicad 13 and Teamwork 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Provides some insight on what might be coming up next.

Next-Gen BIM:
Graphisoft Teamwork 2.0 will revolutionize
BIM/IPD workflow and collaboration
http://www.laiserin.com/features/issue25/feature01.pdf
www.laiserin.com/
25 REPLIES 25
owen
Newcomer
Bricklyne wrote:
I have to say, it's beginning to seem like GS have once again missed the boat with regards to dissonance between AC13 and their clients' core needs and expectations of the program.
I agree with what you have to say about other features (included or not) but TW2 sounds like it will be a Very Big F...... Deal indeed.

Prior to moving here I was working in a fairly large practice doing a mix of large commercial, residential and public projects - nearly all of which were Teamworked, and nearly all of which were suffering substantial productivity losses due to the whole TW process with large files. Sign-In/Out's could take upwards of 20 mins some of the worst affected projects .. multiply that through a team of 10 and people start to get unhappy .. very unhappy.

So if what this article indicates re: TW2 file handling is true then this really will be THE killer feature for AC13. I have said many times before I thought the Multi-Processor support for AC12 was alone worth the upgrade, and I will say the same about TW2. I won't dispute that these things took far too long to see the light of day (and we are still waiting on 64-Bit AC) but at least they are finally here. Better late than never i guess.

Being the optimist (a rare case) perhaps now that GS is removing most of the major performance bottlenecks in AC they can start rolling out some of the really great new features they have been developing in the background for AC14+
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Chazz
Enthusiast
The LaiserinLetter article/ad/fanboy-love-letter talks in depth about the increased efficiency of the data sent between client and server in TW2. Only the changes are transmitted instead of the whole file. This seems less like a breakthrough than an obvious objective from the getgo but what do I know, it was probably hard to do:
LaiserinLetter wrote:
...[the] active server database management system...maintains and updates the central project by passing to and from clients (users’ machines) only the “delta” or change-data of user actions and edits
Anyway, it is my hope that some of the this increased smarts in the database will trickle down from TW2 to more pedestrian aspects of the program. In AC12 any change to the model (including 2d work) will require ALL of the live drawings in the layouts --sections, perspectives, 3D documents, plan views -- to be regenerated. This is the #1 massive time waster in the software. Hopefully AC13 will address this situation.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
I don't understand this. It's an industry newsletter (one I've never heard of) that reads like an ad or endorsement rather than an objective evaluation.
Jerry Laiserin is the guy who can take a fair amount of credit for the coining of the term BIM.

BIM: have ya hearda that yet?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Karl Ottenstein
Chazz wrote:
The ... fanboy-love-letter talks in depth about the increased efficiency of the data sent between client and server in TW2. Only the changes are transmitted instead of the whole file. This seems less like a breakthrough than an obvious objective from the getgo but what do I know, it was probably hard to do...
I would say, "pompously verbose fanboy-love-letter".

Yes, it seems pretty obvious now. We expect relational databases to let us reserve just the record or field we are editing and then process the update, whether it is on a local network, or the airline-seat reservation process over the internet, for example.

I would imagine that revising the internal structure of ArchiCAD project data in a way to support such transactional operations and yet still provide all of the performance of prior versions (I hope the same, and not less - maybe more?) - would be quite a technical challenge.

It certainly sounds like a huge leap forward for team projects.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Jere
Expert
I work in a small firm with two senior and two junior technologists. While we only do small and medium-sized projects (less than $10M,) this improvement in Teamwork is very welcome. At one point or another, we almost always have two people working on the same project. We've gotten to the point where we may set every project as a teamwork file right from the get-go so that it's already set up.

While a send/receive is fairly quick in our office, I know another firm with whom we work where the send/receive takes 10 to 15 minutes at times.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope that changing the database structure will bring improvements for future versions. Sounds encouraging.
Anonymous
Not applicable
outpostarc wrote:
I hope that changing the database structure will bring improvements for future versions. Sounds encouraging.
My impression is that it will.
LaiserinLetter wrote:
One or two privileged individuals among the hundreds of thousands of folks employed in AECO in the USA claim to have encountered the “perfect” solution some dozen years ago in an unreleased version of a now defunct product.
What is he refering to?
Mac OSX 13.6.4 | AC 26 INT 3001 FULL
Anonymous
Not applicable
Achille wrote:
LaiserinLetter wrote:
One or two privileged individuals among the hundreds of thousands of folks employed in AECO in the USA claim to have encountered the “perfect” solution some dozen years ago in an unreleased version of a now defunct product.
What is he refering to?
You know I had to read the article over and over again just to figure out what the heck he was saying. I mean, he makes a living writing? Deliver me.
Christiaan
Participant
Achille wrote:
LaiserinLetter wrote:
What is he refering to?
I assumed he was talking about vapourware of some description.
Learn and get certified!