Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can't stretch complex profile!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've made a foundation wall and was able to stretch it vertically just fine (when I made it a week or two ago). Now, I'm trying to do it and can't. I've opened the profile manager and I've put in the vertical stretch lines where they should be. Everything looks just fine, then I cut a section through it and the vertical stretch option is not there. Any ideas?

foundation wall.jpg
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are only 3 hotspots @ the top of the wall.
Where is the origin of the profile?

What hapens when You add the hotspots in the lower part of the profile?
(I am talking on the profile editor BTW)

Remember You cannot shrink profile below its "original" values, You can enlarge but not shrink - so the proper way would be creating the smallest profile that you use and than enlarge if needed.

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven,

I can't see the position of the origin hotspot in your first picture of the profile. It should probably be positioned either at the top of the wall plate or the base of the foundation. The other hotspots may be off the top or bottom of screen. 'Zoom to selection' to see.

You should also add some extra hotspots manually to help snapping to.

Once those are both correct, check again to see if the vertical stretch works.

(Edit : Piotr beat me!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
The hotspot is at the top of the sill plate. I shrinked it down to 5'-0" of wall. I "zoomed to selection" and I get just the wall, no floating hotspots off somewhere. The horizontal stretch was turned off and so it would not stretch horizontally. I turned it on and the horizontal stretch worked just fine. I made sure the vertical stretch was on and tried it again, to no avail. So I turned it off, saved it, then turned it back on, still no vertical stretch.

I've also noticed while editing a profile, some of the layers cannot get turned on/off. Usually you can turn off the drafting, construction, stretch layers, but in some instances I cannot. I restarted archicad and tried again and it worked. Is this all a bug?????????????
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
...I've also noticed while editing a profile, some of the layers cannot get turned on/off. Usually you can turn off the drafting, construction, stretch layers, but in some instances I cannot. I restarted archicad and tried again and it worked. Is this all a bug?????????????
Sounds like it! Glad you got it working again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's still not stretching! Maybe I have to redo it... why do I seem to get all these da-mn bugs?
Karl Ottenstein
Steven wrote:
It's still not stretching! Maybe I have to redo it... why do I seem to get all these da-mn bugs?
There is only one bug that I know of that would affect editing the profile, but not stretching.

The bug is that if you have Navigator Preview visible while editing a Complex Profile, that then the stretch lines may disappear and you will lose layer control. Restart ArchiCAD, close Navigator Preview and edit the profile.

Clear any user origin. Select all and drag your entire profile to the true origin as described by Peter.

NOTE: you can only make your wall TALLER, never shorter than the drawn profile. So, generally, don't make the wall as tall as you show it. Make it only as tall as its shortest incarnation - perhaps 3' / 1 meter / whatever.

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
There is only one bug that I know of that would affect editing the profile, but not stretching.

The bug is that if you have Navigator Preview visible while editing a Complex Profile, that then the stretch lines may disappear and you will lose layer control. Restart ArchiCAD, close Navigator Preview and edit the profile.

Clear any user origin. Select all and drag your entire profile to the true origin as described by Peter.

NOTE: you can only make your wall TALLER, never shorter than the drawn profile. So, generally, don't make the wall as tall as you show it. Make it only as tall as its shortest incarnation - perhaps 3' / 1 meter / whatever.

HTH,
Karl
That's probably it, I always have my navigator up.

I will try messing around with it some more: probably just delete it and start over (it's not very "complex").
Karl Ottenstein
Steven wrote:
I will try messing around with it some more: probably just delete it and start over (it's not very "complex").
No need to delete. Nothing about the profile itself becomes corrupted. But, you can select all, copy and paste into a new profile if you want to experiment on a fresh copy.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB