BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Roof-like End angle control for Beams.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wouldn't it be nice if you could adjust the end angles of a beam just like roofs edges can. If you could ctrl-click two beams together and they would neatly join, it would work so much better than they do at the moment.

The picture below shows, in orange, how beams connect currently. The ends can only be vertical which means sloped beams don't join neatly.

The blue beam shows how this could look if you could adjust the angle of the ends. I faked this simple square section beam using the roof tool, but it would be good if we had a solution that used complex profiles as well.

Edit - I forgot to add that this would be seriously useful for facia and soffit boarding, and edge mouldings etc.
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you could add to this wish, rather than creating new ones.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=27336
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
... and a 50 from me - I wrote a duplicate wish earlier today (nothing turned up in my 5 minute search criteria) & was directed here. Apologies to the admin, but I'm thinking the more wishes the better?

great graphic illustration of the point. hopefully it's in v.13!
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
Thanks Valery - I did a search before lodging my wish, but getting something that matches your search criteria and having enough time between jobs to do anything but a cursory search is difficult to say the least.

We can only try our best!
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Peter wrote:
The ends can only be vertical which means sloped beams don't join neatly.
The blue beam shows how this could look if you could adjust the angle of the ends. I faked this simple square section beam using the roof tool, but it would be good if we had a solution that used complex profiles as well.
... this would be seriously useful for facia and soffit boarding, and edge mouldings etc.
Take a look at OBJECTiVE. It gives you very detailed control over the end conditions of profiled shapes using a Split tool (see the attached image).

You can also rotate and and split the profiles in section/elevation, which makes it very simple to construct the assembly of beams and shape the joins accurately (ArchiCAD on its own doesn't allow objects to be rotated in section views).

Curved beams were mentioned - note that you can also do this with OBJECTiVE, and in more than one axis.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
We need more voices here. Then, ask the moderator to join the topic. Voices of the two Wishes will be added!
Anonymous
Not applicable
But the OBJECTiVE tool works only with library parts.

Although they are so far advanced in the manipulation of objects, it is time to remove the beams and columns in favor of tools OBJECTiVE.
Karl Ottenstein
Valery wrote:
We need more voices here. Then, ask the moderator to join the topic. Voices of the two Wishes will be added!
I merged this duplicate with with the original, identical wish ... but in the process, the 8 'essential' votes from the new list were lost. Messages merge, but votes do not. 😞

So, if you have the option to vote, please vote again...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
I was just playing around using an inclined beam for rake trim (suggested in another thread about using custom profiles) and this wish addresses the only obstacle I found in using it for this purpose. SEO should offer as work around, but controlling the end angle, as it was said in the wish, like the roof tool would be perfect. A extremely useful wish... thanks.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Stress Co_
Advisor
Gerald wrote:
hopefully it's in v.13!
Well, we'll find out if GS is actually listening to our WISHES.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Jere
Expert
Definitely essential. It would add a lot of flexibility to the beam tool! I was modelling some log trusses and rafters and wanted a square cut. Using the beam tool would have been so easy if I could manipulate the ends.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Learn and get certified!