BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Valley Beam Dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have am object that I am using for a valley beam, It has quite a compound rotation, and compound miters associated to it. I need to dimension this part accurately, so our field assembly crew can cut it correctly and get it into place. I am trying to figure a good way to do this. Each face of the beam is slanted, so a section is out. I want to get a dimensionally accurate look at each face of the beam. If anyone can help me out it would be appreciated!
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
It would probably be helpful if you posted an image of it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Attached is a pdf of the roof beams. The ones in question are the two 5 1/8" x 10.5" Glue lam beams.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Brandon
Sorry I don't know how to do that in AC. Someone else may.
However, as a builder, given that problem, I'd cut two short test pieces at half the angle (a left and right) (and the full rake) of the two angle valley beams, and then I'd pull a field line measurement. HTMS.

In another thought
In AC could you not show a top view for the valley angle, and a side view to get the rake angle?
Then it's just a compound set up cut?
Sorry if this doesn't help much.
Use the SEO, trun off the layer of your operator (ridge beam) and use the look to perpendicular tool on the surface you want to view flat on.
Copy and paste if you like to dimension it in plan view or save it as a 3D document and use 3D dimensions.

Shot at 2009-08-06

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Barry Kelly
Brandon wrote:
I have am object that I am using for a valley beam, It has quite a compound rotation, and compound miters associated to it. I need to dimension this part accurately, so our field assembly crew can cut it correctly and get it into place. I am trying to figure a good way to do this. Each face of the beam is slanted, so a section is out. I want to get a dimensionally accurate look at each face of the beam. If anyone can help me out it would be appreciated!
I think the 3D Document feature of Archicad 12 will be your friend here.
You can create the 3D view and then dimension to any surface plane that you wish (not just vertical and horizontal).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is this what you want to do ?
See attachment.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that the idea of finding a 3D view of the object and getting a 3D document from it and using the dimension tool is going to be the best way to go. The hard part is in essence rotated in several directions, the direction of the valley, the angle of the valley, and the angle of the roof miter. - I'll give it a try, I'm just glad I didn't have to try this in v6.5.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Next question, how do you make an angle dimension in a 3D document?
Erika Epstein
Booster
Interesting. I don't think you can dimension angles or arcs in the 3D Documents. These types of dimension tools are grayed out.

Thanks for pointing this out.
If someone can't point out how to do this then you should make a wish for this.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!