Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex profile handing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but playing with complex profiles, I create a "L" shape with the L at the bottom pointing to the left, save it, the preview displays with the L as it should, but when I apply it to a column the L is to the right?

Is there some kind of handing problem with complex profiles?

I can't see any setting within the column tool or info box that would cause this.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps the column you are applying it to is mirrored.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was applying to a new column that had not been handed, unless handing occured without my knowing?

How in Archicad to you even know if something is handed? In Autocad you would look at the properties palette and see if one of the scale values was minus (e.g. -1 in the x scale), but I don't see (or more correctly, know) if there is an equivalent in Archicad?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
ChuckLondon:

One of the parameters under Geometry and Positioning is Rotation Angle, this should be set to 0˚. I have a corner board set up exactly as you described (drawn as a mirrored "L" in the Profile Manager) and it is placed in plan as drawn when the Rotation Angle is set to 0˚, appears mirrored when the Rotation Angle is 270˚ (or -90˚).

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Making sure the rotation of the objects I'm looking at is the same is obvious, whether or not a column is mirrored is however not. Place a profile shaped column, make the angle 0 and then hand it, the handed result also has an angle of 0. Same type of object, same rotation, different result.

Knowing that now and checking again but doing a different process, using a favourite tool that inserted a simple square column, then applied the custom profile to it (making sure rotation was 0), the result using my L shape profile was the way it should have been, so it seems that the favourite tool inserted a column that was handed from the start, so when I was applying my own profile it too came in handed.

Looking at that raises to questions for me:

1. How can you check a favourite tool to see what it is set as, because I couldn't see anything? If you could see it I can imagine you would also be able to edit the various properties?;

2. If you have an object like a column that doesn't have a "Flip and Rotation" property (like objects seem to) how do you know if it is handed?

Not that it is likely to ever be a consideration in real life....