BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

PC to Mac to PC issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could not seem to update (Edit) my last post so I deleted it and re-posting.

I have NOT had any trouble with my Master(s), who's source is in another .pln AND still don't for my files originating on my machine.

THEN:
This may have nothing to do with it, but thought I'd mention;
Associate is on Mac laptop osx 10.5.7 with 11full, I'm on 12 full pc xp.

She develops Existing plan/site with my 12 program disk(but first updates AC and libraries) key and my template with my Masters in the file I have started for her.
She hands back the key, disk and .pln with now developed existing house condition and all is fine except none of my Masters will associate with the layouts, or so it seems.

I've tried switching layouts to other Masters (which all look fine) and which are part of this same pln template. Settings dialog says each I set layout to is there, but none show up when viewing the layouts.
Please read on.

So I created a new Master with appropriate specifics from my original separate pln
New Master(s) (tried several times) also look fine, as the original Masters do, but none will associate with any layouts, (or so it seems again) even though settings dialog says the new Master I choose is selected to be the master for that layout.

I can drag a copy of Master from original pln, through the Organizer to each layout, but that is only last ditch effort as each would have to be re sized a bit, an that's not a real long term solution/fix anyway.
I tried the above mentioned "workaround", dragging to new Master, which again looks fine, but will not associate to any layouts.
Hope this makes some sense.

UPDATE:
Just found out, As stated above, Masters do not show up as being on any of my layouts in this pln, but Layouts actually PRINT fine with Master info even though the Master info can not be seen while viewing any of the Layouts.
To say the least, very very weird.

So is it maybe PC to Mac to PC thing?
Luckily no immediate impending deadline, but
6hrs into it and the cry for help goes out.
Anybody seen this before?
Any ideas, even guesses would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
lec1212 wrote:
UPDATE:
Just found out, As stated above, Masters do not show up as being on any of my layouts in this pln, but Layouts actually PRINT fine with Master info even though the Master info can not be seen while viewing any of the Layouts.
To say the least, very very weird.
There is an "On-screen display option" that allows you to turn on/off the master file in the layouts.
As it is an on-screen option it will not affect the printing as you have discovered.

You should firnd the option in the VIEW menu.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't believe I did not know that at this point.
Feel somewhat stupid on that one.
Guess I never had that problem before.
Kinda similar to the definition of a computer expert, "ones who's had that problem before".
Thank you very much Barry.

This certainly reinforces my confusion with Graphisoft on how could they not have special dialog boxes showing all the places that might effect these special confusing multi places to control a particular single function.
Or, why is that not in the Masters dialog?
That just blows me away!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
UPDATE:
You know, now that I've thought about this for a bit, I say bug.
We had this problem about a year ago but never figured it out and she recreated my Master info anew.
I now think it's not the Mac to PC transfer back to me, but the initial PC to Mac transfer, as in last time Mac associate got the file she couldn't see the Master info then either.
Or at least it's a bug from this side of the ant hill.

Both of us thinking there was an error in the file
because neither of us has ever had the; View>OSVO>Master-Items-on-Layout" off in any of our projects.
Barry Kelly
I never turn off the show master items on layouts.
However I have noticed on occations that the drawings placed on the masters do not always show - and then they won't print either.
I solve this by selecting the "Masters" folder in the layout view of the Navigator and choosing to update it.
Masters now display properly and print fine as well.
Until next time - I have no idea what makes them not update.
Most times they are fine.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
"However I have noticed on occasions that the drawings placed on the masters do not always show - and then they won't print either.
I solve this by selecting the "Masters" folder in the layout view of the Navigator and choosing to update it."

I've not had that problem before, (but will keep it in mind); but have had (on occasion) what I call regular drawing views I've placed on layouts not update, even after hitting every update button I could find.
My only solution there is to delete placed view and replace with newer version.
Not a happy moment in time.

But maybe there's one more secrete button I'm not aware of, (happens a lot with me).
Thanks for all your help.
Learn and get certified!