Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Velux Roof windows

ArcAngel
Participant
I have been trying to use Velux's roof window object/plug-in but can only find it in Hungarian. Unfortunately my Magyar is very rusty! Has anyone translated this into English - I've searched every one of Velux's international sites and e-mailed every one of them as well - but to no avail.

Here's a link to the object:

http://www.velux.hu/Szakfórum/Építészfórum/Tervezési-segédanyagok/VELUX+CAD/Könyvtárak/
Carlo
AC4.5 - AC 25 (User since 1992)
46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Thomas wrote:
THis must be the worst f-ing Flash website I've ever....
I can't even download the Velux object, despite registering. And what for? no login, no password, whatever. Irritating music, and the Quicktime animation just buzzes. Anybody made this work on a Mac?
Thomas,

You don't need to register to download, just make sure you have downloaded the GDL web plugin from the help section of their site. The save button then sort-of works as expected. It just takes a couple of minutes for the save dialog box to appear!

I agree though, it's a fairly user un-friendly site. Anyone know who runs it?

It seems to have a good range of objects, but I don't understand if there is more to it. Do you get access to more objects if you register? Is it just redistributing free objects that are already available? Do they take on commissions to build custom objects? I'm more confused after visiting the site than I was before!
guys,
Hi,
just to mention a few things about your comments about Cat-e:

- first i'm an architect not a webmaster so sorry if you think my flash dev sucks but I learned all by my self

-then, I'm delivering thousands of objects for my fellow architects for free, trying to make it as easy to use as possible

-Im promoting gdl to manufacturers since 9 years now, worldwide, it's a very very hard and frustrating task, and Graphisoft is not helping at all...

It is more frustrating even, to do all this work for archicad users and others and getting such comments from an archicad user that could have better told me instead of spitting out on the www condescending words.

- I will take out the irritating music and animations you mentionned, though I don't think it's a fair and constructive way to "archicad-talk"....

To answer some more questions:
I have created libraries for some of the manufacturers with former gdl technology developers to give manufacturers the best gdl quality they could get.
Some of the libraries I collected from the object depository or from
early gdl devs or from partners worldwide...
Making these objects with the manufacturer paying for it allows me to deliver it all for you guys FREE even though I'm spending years to update enhance etc for no money but just because I think we still have the most powerfull solution for building products on the web

-I was about to sell our solution to google warehouse over the past year...untill the guy I was negociating with quit in April...

-I m taking risks(i'm not even supposed to give you this velux, it's a demo for velux HQ that never really answered yet...), making hundreds of phonecalls thousands of emails, even went USA to get that market involved because if we don't, the whole world won't care...

-I need help from the community to promote the site to users and more to manufacturers

- We are creating new devs to be delivered soon for a manufacturer that I hope will suprise and fit your exigence

- I don't create containers nor pla because no time for it and not every user has the latest archicad...

-I am more trying to create a critical mass of objects so that the site become a reference for BIM users all software and mac pc plateforms together...

Antoine
Cat-e
Thomas Holm
Booster
al wrote:
It is more frustrating even, to do all this work for archicad users and others and getting such comments from an archicad user that could have better told me instead of spitting out on the www condescending words.
Hi Antoine,

I do have to apologize for my harsh wording!

As I said, I thought this was a commercial venture with some connection to Graphisoft, I had no idea there was a single enthusiast behind it. I'm sorry!

However, I do stand for my remarks on its functionality, at least for Mac users with similar equipment as I. I had to give up, could not make the Velux rooflight object download, at least not within reasonable time.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
al wrote:
-Im promoting gdl to manufacturers since 9 years now, worldwide, it's a very very hard and frustrating task, and Graphisoft is not helping at all...
Cat-e
Yes i know the feeling, hats off to you for sticking with it.

Really i think a big part of the frustration with your site is GS's GDL web plugin. It's way behind, we gave up on it, when the latest build of safari came out. They just don't seem to get along!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, no worries I apreciate your new comments.
Send me an email on al@cateonline.fr I'll send you guys a zipped file of the velux...I have it in French to for mister fmr...
Yes the gdl web plug in has a few issues ( who doesn't right?) by the way send me your objects, wishes or remarks to make the site more convenient if you have time...
On another hand I have little hope GS new CEO and staff could change their mind and see there is business now with the bim objects more than ever, i and GSUS are working on it...
As I said we are working on some new stuff with our own Hungarian! tech that exports to gsm...soon hopefully this fall...
Best
al
Anonymous
Not applicable
Keep going al - your site is a great start!

The furniture and scene setting objects are all good stuff, but the real need is for construction elements (like Velux).

Your front page has some exciting images of rainscreen cladding. Is there an object for this? Joeri created an excellent texture for renderings http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/object_depository.php?

but a construction object would be even better.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Al,

First of... Thank you very much for your hard work bringing us free GDL objects!

GS should treat you and other GDL enthusiasts, like Scott Barringhton, with more respect...

Sometimes I think... Why is it so difficult for GS to create a decent gdl web plugin...

GS has so much talented guys on their offices and not a single one available for an important project like this...

I understand that the new GS administration has its priorities... but IMO if it's CEO keep thinking that the GDL community has to grow up by itself... He is completely wrong.

It has lots of potential... but all it needs is just a strong starting push... which IMO is up to GS to give...

So... Don't give up Al... I'm sure your efforts will someday turn GS's shame unsupportable.

Sorry for the rant folks...
Thomas Holm
Booster
Samovar wrote:
Keep going al - your site is a great start!...
Al, I have to agree on that!

I did some more checking. Seems the culprit really is the GDL plugin, it crashes Firefox and sometimes Safari on my machine, but I've managed to download the Velux library now.

But, I found that the use of the GDL plugin isn't consistent. For example, if I click on the Technal handrail icon, on its opening screen there are some direct download links that bypass the GDL plugin completely. THIS is the way it should work in my view, giving you a choice between using the plugin or not. Bypassing the plugin makes your site independant, which is a good thing!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erika Epstein
Booster
Al, I would like to add my thanks for your hard work.
GS did discontinue support of the GDL plugin a couple of years ago. I have been able to download some of the libraries akin to Thomas' success rate.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
ArcAngel
Participant
al wrote:
Ok, no worries I apreciate your new comments.
Send me an email on al@cateonline.fr I'll send you guys a zipped file of the velux...I have it in French to for mister fmr...
Yes the gdl web plug in has a few issues ( who doesn't right?) by the way send me your objects, wishes or remarks to make the site more convenient if you have time...
On another hand I have little hope GS new CEO and staff could change their mind and see there is business now with the bim objects more than ever, i and GSUS are working on it...
As I said we are working on some new stuff with our own Hungarian! tech that exports to gsm...soon hopefully this fall...
Best
al
Having started this thread nearly 3 years ago it was looking like the elves had been busy and Christmas had finally arrived; unfortunatley Al I've been having the same problems as Thomas, and Santa's sled has been highjacked by the GDL goblins (you wouldn't believe the number of crash-dump files have been generated onto my desk-top)

Thanks for the offer to e-mail the Velux library: I'll send you my details.

Carlo
Carlo
AC4.5 - AC 25 (User since 1992)
Djordje
Ace
AFAIK the GDL plugin works correctly only in M$ Explorer ... and I don't really know who still uses that? Explorer I mean 😉

Therefore, Antoine, hats off, but don't use the technology that does not work with everything everywhere every time. Simple download is best. I personally avoid Flash sites - what for? Less is more!

It's about the contents, not the packaging. If you do something online, when you finish, get a two generations old computer, hook on via a dialup, access the site. If it works, it will work for Thomas too!

PS:

Next time you are in Dubai it's my round ... Same place would be OK.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen