BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Alternative for ACA?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
(long message, sorry..)
I´m working currently on a pretty big retail project (cross area over 50 000m2) and I´ve been using ACA to do the designs (I´m an architect). The project is a BIM project. I just got a new computer with ACA 2010. The specs are:
Windows Vista 64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 2.67 GHz
RAM 12Gt
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
With this new computer the problems have started (there were some with 2008 and 2009 but not this much): crashing, slowing down, etc. I´ve sent the error codes to Autodesk but haven´t got any replies. I´ve googled possible solutions but none of them have helped me so far (reinstall, updates). Some say the Vista is the problem, some say the videocard, some say it´s the 64kbit system etc etc.

So now I´ve come to the point that I want to try an other program. In our office we have licenses for ArchiCAD, Allplan and Revit (one Allplan user, two ArchiCAD users and zero Revit users. ACA is used mainly but only 2D drawings (no BIM)). If you have used/are using these programs and also have some experiences on ACA, could you give me pros and cons of them compared to ACA? My method of working is the following (short version..):
1. I use spaceobjects to do the preliminary designs (no walls etc are drawn at this point). Based on this information I get areas and volumes which are useful for the customer. Also some 2D lines are used to define some details for the customer
2. I use exterior walls (also windows, doors) and roofs to create the shape/form and the architecture of the building. This exterior model is used for the 3D visualizations
3. At this point usually the contruction engineer comes in picture and with him/her I go thru possible construction alternatives. I also start to add interior walls, doors etc
4. When the model is finished I create/project the 2D drawings (plans, sections,..) needed from the model and add information that´s needed (dimensions, texts etc) on the 2D designs.

Some things that I want from the program is:
- using and editing the spaceobjects is easy (actually this is good in ACA). Also would be nice if the walls could be created from the spaceobjects (possible in ACA but not easy)
- moving inside a BIG model (over 50 000m2) with realistic view on (3Dorbit) is easy and fluent (not in ACA, really slow at least in my case..)
- in ACA it´s really frustrating that it´s possible to create too accurate dimensions - sometimes this causes that e.g. a wall seems to be on top of a module but when you zoom really close it´s 0.054mm off the module. I know about the snaps etc but honestly, do they work ok?
- big BIM project is possible
- 2D drawing is possible (this is really good in ACA)
- the program should work so that I don´t need to spend a week trying to figure out why some command crashes the program when the answer is that I should have had 2 in the uwhwuiewiu-variable instead of 3. So simplicity: do I really need 2534 variables to design and model a building?

So, pros and cons of ArchiCAD, Allplan and Revit compared to ACA.

Thank You!
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
You're on ArchiCAD turf so expect most of us to be devotees .

If your office has a licence (the latest version is 12) you have nothing to loose by giving it a try - and much to gain. You sound pretty business-like so once your templates and work environment is set up just how you need it, ArchiCAD should suit you perfectly.

For a less-bias (admittedly slightly out of date) view have a look here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2231948/Revit-vs-Archicad-vs-Microstation
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I may shamelessly plug, I have just had a look at issues to do with trasitioning to BIM http://su.pr/1XF0bE
Learn and get certified!