Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to edit a objects - Dormer

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello!

As a beginner i have some problem to edit the dormer. My plan is to have a dormer with three windows but I´m not able to edit the dormer in Archicad. I´m not able to choose more than one window. How do I edit this object or do I have to built a whole new dormer? How do I built a new dormer if I have to?

Best regards

Henrik
21 REPLIES 21
JaredBanks
Mentor
Rick,

What rendering engine (or settings in 3D window) did you use to make that image? It's fantastic.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Rick Thompson
Expert
It's just the standard Internal Engine... shading, well.. I'll attach a screen shot:) (The background color is just for my web site images, keeps it simple in Photoshop.)
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
JaredBanks
Mentor
Learn something everyday. Sometimes 2 things (command+click to trim to roof in 3D) and now this: black lines w/ internal rendering engine. In 4 years of archicad use, I never thought to switch the pens to black and white before going to 3D. I think it's the combination of that and the minimal use of color that I like so much about that image. Especially that wonderful blue with the subtle gray of the roof. Thanks. I'll start stealing that ASAP!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all contributions!

I tried to do as Peter said but I didn succed. I succeded with the roof on the dormer but not inside the house. I attach a 3D view from inside that show my problem. As you can see I would like to cut the wall with the same angle as the roof inside. I not sure I´m understanding how I´m going to do. What do you mean with "command klick"?

/Henrik
Rick Thompson
Expert
JaredBanks wrote:
Learn something everyday. I never thought to switch the pens to black and white before going to 3D. !
hummm??? I didn't actually switch any lines? The black for the siding, or the roofing comes from the material settings. But, maybe you are on to something else

I always liked the Internal Engine, even though most here seems to go via Artlantis.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
JaredBanks
Mentor
For either SEO or trim to roof, the roof must intersect the wall. That looks like the issue here.

command + click on macs: if, in 3d, you select a wall, then hold down the command key and click on the roof, the wall will trim to the roof.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Rick Thompson
Expert
I don't know what the hell that image is??? NOt what I uploaded???

I'll try again.
Picture 1.png
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
JaredBanks
Mentor
Are your materials vectorial hatches set to element pen or custom? Maybe that has something to do with it. And do you typically use black pens? It looks like it from your plan. My drawings are all shades of the rainbow... well a couple shades!

Okay, well your correct images answers that question! Yes to both.
Rick wrote:
JaredBanks wrote:
Learn something everyday. I never thought to switch the pens to black and white before going to 3D. !
hummm??? I didn't actually switch any lines? The black for the siding, or the roofing comes from the material settings. But, maybe you are on to something else

I always liked the Internal Engine, even though most here seems to go via Artlantis.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Rick Thompson
Expert
henein wrote:
Thanks for all contributions!
What do you mean with "command klick"?

/Henrik
Command Click, on a Mac, is the keyboard short cut to trim to room. That trims the bottom of the wall to the top of the roof as a default. You can change the way it trims under menu>design> trim to roof. The manual should explain the fine points.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are your materials vectorial hatches set to element pen or custom? Maybe that has something to do with it. And do you typically use black pens? It looks like it from your plan. My drawings are all shades of the rainbow... well a couple shades! "

How do i change pen or custom? And how do you change black pens. I hope I don´t ask to much stupid questions.

When i Try to fit the roof to walls by trim to roof it dosent happen anything if i choose trim top. If i choose trim base the wall will disappear.

/Henrik