Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

cutting holes across stories for staircase

Anonymous
Not applicable
How to cut holes in the slab across multiple stories for staircase using solid element operation.

In interactive traning guide(microsoft office) after selecting slab tool we have to select SEO-BODY-01 IN FAVORITES PALLETES
How to proceed otherwise when there are no favorites?
Is there any other method to cut holes across stories for stairs using solid element operation?
8 REPLIES 8
TMA_80
Enthusiast
hi!

don"t know about AC-TRAINING GUIDE but :
Be careful that when using SEO, the hole will not show in the floor plan , only in section and 3d.

to create a hole; see the option of slab,s pet pallette, however it will not be across stories, you have to create the staircase hole in each slab...

as this could be considered as a shortcoming of "stairmaker or AC & stairmaker) this would be a good topic for "construction wishlist"
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
One advantage of using SEO rather than the pet palette option is that with SEO the material of the edge of the hole can be inherited from the operator. For example, if the slab's edge material is the exterior cladding material, the hole created by the pet palette will also be this material, while the operator's material can be set to the interior material, and inherited by the slab via SEO. Also, if a single operator is used to cut the holes in multiple slabs through the model for the stair, moving and modifying the operator will change all of these holes, where with the pet palette option all the holes would need to be edited individually (this might be more easily done with careful use of the multi-story marquee). Yes, SEOs do not change (or show) in the plan view.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
One advantage of using SEO rather than the pet palette option is that with SEO the material of the edge of the hole can be inherited from the operator. For example, if the slab's edge material is the exterior cladding material, the hole created by the pet palette will also be this material, while the operator's material can be set to the interior material, and inherited by the slab via SEO. Also, if a single operator is used to cut the holes in multiple slabs through the model for the stair, moving and modifying the operator will change all of these holes, where with the pet palette option all the holes would need to be edited individually (this might be more easily done with careful use of the multi-story marquee). Yes, SEOs do not change (or show) in the plan view.

HTH

David
Can i get step by step, because i am a l confused after doing it in interactive traning.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Can you attached the file you're trying?
Then I'll walk you thru'
cheers,
Anonymous
Not applicable
tranthainguyen wrote:
Hi,
Can you attached the file you're trying?
Then I'll walk you thru'
cheers,
It's not about completing the task, but @ learning archicad
It's a simple residential building. i have placed a dog-leged stair.only i need to know is how to cut holes in the slab.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi..
So then you might consider either:
1- Solid Operation Elements
2- Cut a normal hole in the slab.

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
tranthainguyen wrote:
Hi..
So then you might consider either:
1- Solid Operation Elements
2- Cut a normal hole in the slab.

Cheers
I know about 2)cutting a normal hole in the slab,but i want a staight foward step by step method for 1)solid operation element.

thanks in advance for your time.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
creative mind:

For more information with images, go to Help > ArchiCAD Help, when your browser opens click on the "Search" tab, and input "Solid Element Operation" in the search box, in the results list will lead to detailed information, including a Solid Operation Example. You can also search this forum for "Solid Element Operation" or "SEO". If you are having a specific problem, post some screen shots to clarify the issue.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14