BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

how to get a realistic look for water

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
I have completed a render for a pool that i have designed. Can anyone inform me how to get a ripple effect for a water material instead if it looking like a flat sheet.
I have posted a sample of the render.
if anyone has any ideas on how i can improve on these renders that would be much appreciated
Cheers
8 REPLIES 8
Erich
Contributor
I think if you do a search for water you will likely find a good answer. I recall a discussion awhile ago about this very thing. Pay particular attention to any posts by Dwight.

For a first pass, I would consider using a mesh to reduce the flatness. However, I think you will find better answers in your search.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
andrewzarb
Booster
I havent done a search yet for solutions o this subject, I wanted to have a think about it so here is my result and procedure.

It appears that the beautiful pool water texture is really not an image of the water but of the pool shell, so I made a pool shell and applied the texture to it.

The next problem is the flattness of the shading. Water is not completely transparent. I simulated the look of water by making a slab and repeating it every 100mm. Therefore the water appears to get darker as the pool gets deeper.

The render is just with the default settings I had. I might add a water sparkle to the surface next.
Pool Final.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
water

Pleas note clearance pricing on LightWorks in Archicad where you will certainly learn all about water
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Dwight
Is this a tutorial on lightworks rendering for water and other things.
cheers
Dwight
Newcomer
click the link and see.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I clicked the on the water link.
What exactly do i get for the $90
Dwight
Newcomer
A 208 page full color book that dazzles you with Lightworks procedures, tips and tricks.

Comments:

LightWorks in Archicad book release comments

This book has been available since Archicad 9 and is updated to be current
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just transfered through Paypal.
Look forward to receiving the book
thanks
Learn and get certified!