Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Stairs, stairs, stairs...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm still quite new with ArchiCAD and I have a lot of issues in convincing the program to represent any flight of stairs I create the way I want it.

In particular, I don't understand to which story should a flight of stairs belong to in order for ArchiCAD to be best pleased? I mean, I love the software, I'm very happy with almost everything else, but when it comes to stairs... I always end up with dashed lines (invisible structure) were I really wanted it to be solid, step numbering that is set to be visible but it isn't, flights of stairs that disappear altogether... It's really quite entertaining, but you know, time consuming!

Long story short, my two biggest issues are:

- with exactly the same representation settings, a normal rectangular one-flight stair is shown as 'invisible structure' while a complex-geometry one (the one you create with a hatch and a line) is shown as 'visible structure' (the one I wanted!);

- step numbering: I need them to show in the relative floor plane, while they only show up in the floor plane above it...

Is it only me doing it wrong? I've spent a long time trying to figure this out, but I'm still lost. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Enrico

Thanks

Enrico
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
You can fight with the built-in stairs and StairMaker, or you can look to add-ons such as Cigraph's excellent ArchiStair 2.0 ...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Enrico
You might want to consider Steve's suggestions in this thread.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=149824&highlight=stairs#149824

It's the only way to get structural details out that make sense for the specific stair your building.
I'm sure others can help out with the how to show by story if your going to go that generic route, but white or other appropriate fills can end the headache real quick on simple residence stars.
lec
Erika Epstein
Booster
Enrico wrote:
- with exactly the same representation settings, a normal rectangular one-flight stair is shown as 'invisible structure' while a complex-geometry one (the one you create with a hatch and a line) is shown as 'visible structure' (the one I wanted!);

- step numbering: I need them to show in the relative floor plane, while they only show up in the floor plane above it...

Enrico
1.For the first, check the 2D symbol type. It sounds like you have it set to type 13 which over-rides the line type to show all lines dashed.

2. On the Parameters tab >2D Above Home Story
Uncheck "Show Numbering"

3.Assign the Home story for the stair. Consistency is the key. I typically assign the home story of the stair to the one from which it goes up to the next story. Then you choose on which stories it will show.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
From demonstrations I have seen, Cadimage's Stair Builder for AC12 looks good, very versatile, and displays well in plan views.